Thread: 231 Sqn airman

Thanks

Default 231 Sqn airman

Hello. Recently came across the following.

The body of a young airman washed ashore at Ballyhalbert. Identified as sergeant Alfred White aged 22. The funeral took place at Movilla newtownards. The funeral was attended by officers and nco's of 10 OTU and 231 squadron RAF.

Could anyone tell me the circumstances of his death?

Regards skyhawk.

Thanks

According to Chorley's BCL Vol 9, Sgt Alfred White 540565 was killed while with 10 OTU on 1.10.40.
    BCL Vol 7 does list an Anson R3304 from 10 OTU lost on this day on an exercise over Cardigan Bay. He only lists one crew member but does suggest that one crew member may have been killed and one injured. The aircraft ditched in the Irish sea.

Regards
    Andy

Thanks

From CWGC, Sgt (WOP u/t) Alfred White 540565

date of death 1 Oct 1940.
    http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2690364

Flight magazine list him as:
    PREVIOUSLY REPORTED MISSING, BELIEVED KILLED ON ACTIVE SERVICE, NOW REPORTED KILLED ON ACTIVE SERVICE

His name is amongst a large number of missing in the Nov 7th 1940 Flight magazine.

Need to check them against that days deaths on CWGC?
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks very much guys. The information came from an article in the Down Spectator newspaper at the time. Dont know the 231 sqn connection, maybe one of their aircraft spotted the body on the beach whilst on patrol.

Many thanks and regards skyhawk.

Thanks

Default The 231 Connection

The link with 231 Sqn is probably no more than they were operating in the area of Newtonards at the time. Consequently, it would fall to them to deal with a casualty found in their area, including arranging a funeral or repatriating a body.

OldRotor

Thanks

I know this on old item but I can provide more information. Sergeant Alfred White was my wife's uncle. He was indeed on Avro Anson R3304 of Number 10 OTU. He was flying as one of the Wireless Operator / Air Gunners. The crew were tasked with undertaking a cross country training flight plus air firing practice at sea between Beaumaris and Aberystwyth when the aircraft due to a possible technical fault had to undertake a forced landing on the sea. Tragically Sgt White was the only crew member to lose his life. The family story is that as one other member of the crew had been injured Alfred gave up his place on the life-raft in an attempt to swim for the shore to get help. The survivors were eventually picked up by HM The Royal Naval Yacht Virginia. From his service record I can find no apparent link to 231 Squadron. Alfred enlisted on 10/05/1937 and had previously been serving with 51 Squadron

Thanks

Hello,

Bill Chorley's revised Bomber Command Losses Vol.1 (p.323), has the following:

Tuesday 1 October 1940
    10 OTU B Flight.
    Anson I R3304

T/o 0950 for a NAVEX combined with AFP: base-Beaumaris-Aberystwyth-base with a diversion over Cardigan Bay for AFP. Ditched circa 1450.

Sgt C F Gibbons* - Safe.

* Possibly: 741159 Charles Frederick (George) GIBBONS (104397) RAFVR (later A/S/L, DFC, 109 Sqn.)

Col.