Thread: Service records, Forces Aériennes Françaises Libres (FAFL)

Thanks

Default Service records, Forces Aériennes Françaises Libres (FAFL)

I am looking for further information on a pilot of the Forces Aériennes Françaises Libres (FAFL) killed in service. The pilot is A Winther, cf.
    http://www.danishww2pilots.dk/profiles.php?id=290

Would anyone know if service records of the FAFL exist and are available?

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel

Did you see this thread from last week? I asked a similar question.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9086

It has some useful info, but it seems there's nothing available online.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon
    I did not. Thank you very much.

As could always use an excuse to go to Paris (not that I really need one), so the online part I am not worried about. I am usually in Paris 2-3 times a year.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

Hi Mikkel,

I know (for having using it) that there are records of FAFL casualties (killed or captured) for each casualty in 1944 or 1945 of French units based in Great Britain (or in Northern France/Belgium). For each man you will find a small file with several pages, usually describing the circumstance of loss, and then administrative papers regarding the loss. Several archive box are in this category (covering both air units and paratroops (SAS)).

On the other hand no such files are available (in this form, at least) regarding the French air units coming from the MTO.

And I have only searched such info for the two last years of the war, so I have no idea what can be found for a casualty in 1941.

Best regards

Laurent

Thanks

Laurent
    Thank you. He was killed in a training accident. That also might influence the availability of date. I ordered a copy of his (British) death certificate yesterday from GRO, to see what can be gathered from this source.

Mikkel