Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sgt Pilot James Ashton

Thanks

Default Sgt Pilot James Ashton

I am trying to find out any details concerning this SGT PILOT , his service no being
    1392315 and he is buried in cheltenham , any info would be greatfully recieved , thank you

Thanks

Phill,
    Not much help I'm afraid. RAF Enlistment No 1392315 issued as part of the block 1375001-1424800 at Euston or Penarth between Aug 1940 and Mar 1941 (probably very late 1940?). CWGC gives AaD as 24, therefore he was born 1919 (+/- 1 yr). Too many James Ashton's in that period to work with! Try Geoff's Search Engine to see if anybody killed (or died) on the same date (or in the week before!)
    Let us know how you get on!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Phill,
    I've tried GRO but the only James Ashton they have is 10yrs older than your's, and registered in Leeds, unless there's a mistake with either CWGC or GRO. Scottish GRO show's nothing.

Thanks

Default Sgt James Ashton

[QUOTE=AlanW;53528]TO all , who answered the call on this one i thank you , i am still trying to sort this one , but AS this pilot is remembered on my local war memorial then i have to trace it , i have managed to trace this pilots sister living local to me in Powys .
    IN wartime this would have been RADNORSHIRE , his sister who of course in quite elderly now told me that her brother VIVIAN ASHTON , had his name changed by deed poll to ERIC JAMES ASHTON prior to joining the RAF , He had wanted to fly fighters , but as he was so tall he went on to bombers , she also told me he was killed in 1943 , and is buried at cheltenham as far as i can see their being only 1,ASHTON BURIED AT CHELTENHAM.
    that being 1392315 SGT JAMES ASHTON KILLED 21/5/43,
    looking at Chorleys BOMBER COMMAND ROLLOF HONOUR , NO ASHTON comes close ??
    To make things more complicted SGT ASHTON is still listed as VIVIAN ASHTON On the local war memorial , but a search of the CWGC SITE lists no one with this name .
    His sister is going to dig out some more information for me so i will update when i know more , she is also keen to learn more ,thanks again to all
    phill jones

Thanks

FOR 1919+/- 1 year, there is a Vivian N Ashton born in late 1918 in Spalding district, Lincs.

Mothers surname is listed as Gooch. Does that match up?? A likely sister named Florence in 1916.

The London Gazette of
    http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/35440/pages/532

NOTICE is hereby given that VIVIAN NEWTON ASHTON of 78, The Ridgeway, Golders Green,
    N.W.i i, natural born British subject, intends after the expiration of twenty-one days from the date of the publication of this notice to assume the Christian name of James and after the expiration of the said period intends upon all occasions'and at all times to sign and use and to be called and known by the name of James Ashton in lieu of and in substitution for his present name of Vivian Newton Ashton.—
    Dated this 27th day of January 1942.
    GEO. W. BOWER and SON, 23, Golders Green (009) Road, N.W.ii, Solicitors.

So, is the Eric part incorrect perhaps?

I notice that there are no RAF E J AShtons listed killed in CWGC database currently.

The Flight magazine of August 5th 1943 contains a Killed on Active Service listing for a Sgt E J Ashton. I wonder if that is your man.

Noting that he is listed as Sgt. (Pilot), the only other RAF airman dead for that date with no unit listed and a trade listed against him is:

Sgt (WO A/G ) Harry Hubert Charles Harris who is buried in Sctland, registered in Campletown district, Argyl Scotland but his parents and/or wife are listed as from Kennsington.

Sgt E J Ashton and H H C Harris are listed in consecutive casualty lists.

Are they connected I wonder?
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 13th September 2010 at 15:10.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis, Alan, Phill, - and all
    We have enough trouble chasing up folk who may (or may not!), have been Enlisted/Commissioned (or not!), and who may have been in receipt of Medals/Honours, etc. But if these little bu$$ers change their name(s) in the middle of the process then what chance do we have? - except via the Forum Experts!!!
    I remain totally in awe of the expertise exhibited on the Forum. It humbles me to realise that I can - in however small account - contribute something!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Phill,

Eric James Ashton's death is registered at Chipping Norton, Oxon. Therefore I could suggest a connection with the loss of Oxford ED156, 6 PAFU, at Chapel House, Chipping Norton on the day in question.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

so obvious when you see it, good man Dave!

He is mentionied here then in that case:
    http://www.chippingnorton.net/NEWS/MEMORIES%20OF%20THE%20WAR.htm
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Sgt Pilot James Ashton

What Can I Say Outstanding , Thank You So Much To All Who Helped On This One
    Brill

Thanks

Default Hugh Webbon

I have noticed your thread as a result of an internet Google search. I am Ashton's nephew and have discussed it with his sister, my Aunt, now 88 and the lady mentioned by Phill. You have the right man! Just to let you understand some detail (as relayed to me) on Vivian Newton Ashton and the name changes. He joined the Royal Navy in that name but did not like it and went AWOL. Posted as a deserter, the family moved to London to support him. He changed his name to Eric James to join the Merchant Navy, was torpedoed on the Doric Star and put on the Altmark prison ship. His photo appeared on the front of the National newspapers as part of the first group liberated from the holds of the Altmark and apparently he went 'under cover' as there was still a warrant for his arrest in his home town of Llandrindod Wells. He then joined the RAF as Eric James Ashton, having changed his name officially. I have always understood he was killed in an accident flying an Oxford from Little Rissington. My Aunt and family were never sure of his actual role after flying training, as he was a fluent French and German speaker and somewhat secretive! I bet you must have come across lots of mysteries from this period and it can't make your task easier. Good luck.