Thread: Hudson crash - details sought

Thanks

Default Hudson crash - details sought

I am currently perusing the logbook of F/O Neil James McIlhone, DFC. It is a partial logbook because he states that his original logbook was lost in June 1943 in the crash of "Hudson LV7945" - which is not a proper serial. It might be read as "Hudson IV 7945". He does not list Hudsons among his "types flown" so presumable be was a passenger. It is possible (but not certain) that he was with No.59 Squadron at the time.

Can any contributors to this Forum pinpoint the date, unit and circumstances of this crash ?

Thanks

Hi Hugh,

I checked my AB books and found no Hudson with serial ?7945 (L,N,P,R,T,V,X,Z), also no Hudson LV??? and the same situation with 7945 on Bill Walkers site of RCAF planes.

Hope someone else will be able to help you more

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Default Hudson crash

Hi Hugh,

I did find `FK 794` a MK VI Hudson DBR when it swung on t/o at Goose Bay on 15 June 1943. This was 45 GP. Don`t know if this is it?

This is from Andrew Hendrie`s `Lockheed Hudson in WW2`

Regards
    Dave

Thanks

Just a guess, but some Mk. V Hudsons were designated Mk. V (LR) for Long Range, maybe that is the source of the LV? All had 2 letter 3 digit serials however.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Hugh:
    Only Air Ministry Hudson serials I see ending in '945' are AM945 and EW945. The latter went to the Middle East.
    Regards:
    Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 11th September 2010 at 16:21.

Thanks

Hello Hugh,

For what it is worth.

The late Roy Benwell, co-author of ‘In Brave Company’ gave me a handwritten (no computers in those days) listing of Hudson fates from their cards when he called in Auckland as a VC10 ‘skipper’ many moon’s ago.

Hudson AM945 8 January 1942 Missing during evacuation from Singapore – Presumed lost.

Hudson EW945 117 Squadron. Cat E/FA 25 November 1942.

I do not hold the AB books on these serials so I am not sure what they state for these aircraft. This is just in the hope it may give a bit of clue for you

All the best in your search.
    Cheers,
    Digger.

Thanks

The original source (the scribble in a second logbook) is cleary misleading. My thanks to those who have contributed, but I fear we are getting nowhere unless I can unearth something more reliable.

Thanks

Hello Hugh

Is it perhaps a grid reference? If from the Modified British System it would imply the crash did not occur in Europe but further afield. Possibly a tie in with Dave's suggestion for Goose Bay?

The other thing I can comment on is having looked at 59 Sqn ORB from late 1942 they were converting to Liberators and ceased operation use of Hudsons circa Aug'42.

Regards
    Pierre