Thread: Hurricane P5209 No.56 OTU

Thanks

Default Hurricane P5209 No.56 OTU

I have been typing up entries from numerous ORBs and came across this good one in the 56 OTU ORB.

April 20th 1942, “Flying accident Hurricane P5209 at Accrington P/O F.H. Pollock (Canadian) became lost and forced landed at Stamford Railway Crossing. Pilot unhurt.”

As my Dad is from Accrington I asked him is there anywhere in the town near either the currently active railway or the closed line to Bury called Stamford, and there isn't.

I have found a Stamford Crossing on the East Coast Main Line just to the north of Alnmouth close to a village called Rennington. Can anyone confirm if this is where P5209 forced landed, only so I can get the correct note in my files.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

read46 Guest

Could be a mix up of Accrington / Acklington?

Thanks

Nothing in the local knowledge for Stamford, Northumberland on or near that date. There is a Stamford in the Oldham area of Lancashire.

Best Wishes.
    Robert.

Thanks

For 20th April 1942 only have Hurricane V7047 of 52 OTU (became 2570M).

Henk.

Thanks

Thanks, it'll have to be an unanswered one for now, though I have noticed that the location in Northumberland is near to Brunton which 56 OTU used for quite a while. So it probably occured in that area.

The Stamford area of Oldham doesn't have any railways, there was one down the hill towards the town but there weren't any level crossings.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Stamford in Northumberland is a hamlet within the parish of Rennington. The point where the rail line crosses the road linking Rennington with Stamford is marked on the OS2500 map as "Stamford Crossing". Good contender for crash location

dg