Thread: WW2 Photographs

Thanks

Default WW2 Photographs

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has any idea as to what happened to the many hundreds or thousands of offical photographs taken at RAF airfields, etc. I cannot seem to find them anywhere. It seems strange as each station had it's own photographer and other were present when VIP's or Senior officers visited. Looking forward to any thoughts

pete

Thanks

Default WW2 photographs

Pete
    My friend was after photographs. He had help from Air Historical Branch, the Imperial War Museum and RAF Museums who all had archives. Might be worth trying those. If there is a particular airfield you are interested in it might be worth seeing what sqns were based there as the Assn for that sqn may have photos. There are always photos being sold on ebay as I am sure you have found... If the airfield is still a live one they may have a memory room as we do here at Honington and therefore have pictures.
    I am sure the guys on here can help with more ideas than this if you let us know your specific interest..
    Dee

Thanks

Pete,
    Try University of Leeds, I believe they have a vast collection.

Cheers,
    Digger.

Thanks

Hi Pete,
    The following may be of interest. A friend of mine was stationed at Llandwrog in late '45 early '46. A group of them were required to clear out some buildings, including the station photographic hut. They had to destroy hundreds of documents, and he vividly remembers burning countless photographs of pranged Whitleys, Blenheims, Defiants, Lysanders etc, under the eagle eye of the sargent in charge. When you consider this was just one RAF station.................(The destruction of aircrew logbooks in the 1960's is another example of official vandalism)
    Ian