Thread: Hurricane L1715 and Defiant AA297

Thanks

Default Hurricane L1715 and Defiant AA297

A number of things about these two AC, and their pilot. Sgt H.J.Davidson, no relation but my own sir name. Henry flew with 249 Sqn, an ace during the BoB. Later flew the first catapult Sea Hurricane launch with the CAM operations. During his time with 249 he happened to crash land L1715, he survived, the plane was taken out of service, repaired and was attached to 691 Sqn, it crashed again in 1944 and WO. I am trying to find the code for this AC when it was with 249 Sqn, GN*?

When CAm was ceased, H.J.D. was being assigned to 285 Sqn, the Defiant he was flying had the engine cut out in the circuit, stalled and crashed, killing H.J.D. I am trying to find the code for Thia ac as well, VG*?.

Can anyone from this wonderful resource shed some light on this for me.

Cheers from downunda,
    Bill

Thanks

Wow, this is disappointing. I thought for sure if anywhere I could find these Codes, it would be here. I think I have exhausted every effort possible to get them. I guess I have come up to the final dead end. For those who looked this over, I thank you. Cheers, Bill

Thanks

Bill.

I can't answer your query, however while updating my information about 249 Squadron Yorkshire-incidents on the night of 15/16th July 1940 have come across your posting.

Its the location I'm after, does your research agree that Davidson was the pilot of Hurricane L1715 that crash landed at Acklington on 16th July 1940.

The ORB is very poorly written for this night and there were three 249 Squadron mishaps on this night. P2995 crashed at Copmanthorpe, Yorkshire with the loss of the pilot, P3057 was damaged at Church Fenton. It refers to a third mishap but does not identify the aircraft, pilot or location but it looks like L1715 would be the third.

Further research suggests L1715 was damaged at Acklington on this night and actually outside my research area but I am looking to confirm this.

regards Rich Allenby

Thanks

Default Hurricane L1715 and Defiant AA297

Yes it was L1715 and piloted by Davidson. The aircraft was in fact damaged and needed repair extensive enough it was assigned another squadron after these repairs. Davidson was unhurt in this mishap at Acklington. If you do find any information as to GN*? code I sure would like to know. Bill