Thread: WWII Aircraft Ferry Routes

Thanks

Default WWII Aircraft Ferry Routes

Hello All,

Were there any ferry routes heading up the West Coast of Africa? The map I've seen in Atlantic Bridge shows a route northeast across Africa to Egypt, however I've a couple of 45 Group Mosquito losses in Sierra Leone and Bissau.

Did the aircraft go up along the W coast of Africa to Morocco, thence to the Med on occasion?

TIA,

Mark

Thanks

Mark,

These entries from my 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume Two: Fates 1943-1998)' would seem to indicate so:

Fri 12 Mar 1943
    FERRY COMMAND
    Ferry flight to England
    (1?) Overseas Aircraft Despatch Unit, RAF (Portreath, Cornwall - 44 Group)
    Hudson VI FK621 - began the delivery flight from Hastings, Sierra Leone, on 3 March to Morocco and later Gibraltar. Piloted by Fg Off B W Polson, RAAF, then took off from Gibraltar on the 12th and climbed away eastwards before turning west to fly past Europa Point. However, veered off track and flew into high ground at 1500 feet on Spanish territory at 0132. All four crew died, their bodies being recovered and buried at sea in the Bay of Algeciras between Europa and Carnero points. They are commemorated on the Gibraltar Memorial.
    WOpAG: NZ414490 Sgt Henry Edwin ASH, RNZAF - Age 21. 151hrs.
    See also footnote to next entry.

(1?) Overseas Aircraft Despatch Unit, RAF (Portreath, Cornwall - 44 Group)
    Hudson VI FK722 - engaged on a similar flight to FK621 above, probably following the same route. Crashed in the sea two miles from Gibraltar at 0213, only moments after taking off. The five crew are commemorated on the Malta Memorial.
    Captain: NZ413527 Fg Off Frank Lancelot Martyn WHIBLEY, RNZAF - Age 23. 300hrs solo (140 on Hudson)
    Ash and Whibley sailed together from Canada to Britain in October 1942. They were posted to Sierra Leone in December, presumably for ferrying duties, and arrived there on New Year’s Day.

Errol

Thanks

Many thanks Errol.

Thanks

I have a subject who was lost on a ferry flight out of Belize, on his way across the Atlantic to the west coast of Africa. The routes are described in detail in Ocean Bridge.
    David

Thanks

Thanks David.

The whole thing goes back to a post on another board, according to which divers have found Mosquito wreckage off the Canary Islands, but there doesn't seem to be a matching PRU loss. I wondered if it might be a ferry accident.