Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F.Lt. EG Girard

Thanks

Default F.Lt. EG Girard

Does anyone know anything more about F.Lt. EG Girard who was part of the 2nd TAF Inspection teams which worked their way through Northern Germany in spring/summer 1945?

Thanks

Default Re: F.Lt. EG Girard

Steve, Hi - and welcome to the Forum.
    E G Girard
    Couldn’t find an E G Girard in E&W. Found an E J Girard. It looks as if the Girard family have been Anglo-European for some time (an E P Girard b. Reg Lambeth 1841!)
    Poss E J Girard b. outside UK? Was he already a member of some "Dept" of the Foreign Office?
    1931-35 Etienne J Girard m. Nina B Schilling, Tallin, Estonia (Consular/Overseas)
    6 May 1943 1867409 AC2 Etienne John GIRARD Cmd A/Plt Off(p) (143364) RAFVR A&SD Branch.
    1 Jul 1943 A/Plt Off(p) E J Girard (143364) Regraded Plt Off(p).
    1 Jan 1944 Plt Off(p) Promoted Fg Off(p).
    If he was Flt Lt then it was prob A/Flt Lt (i.e. not Gazetted).
    Nothing further. He just disappears!
    16 Aug 1982 Etienne John Girard d. Cambridge (on Probate – but not on FREEBMD!).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Steve,
    Corrections/additions to above Etienne John Girard
    b. 21 Jan 1908
    d. Q3 1982 Reg Cambridge 9 521.
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 15th August 2021 at 15:47.

Thanks

Hello

Etienne John GIRARD - a family tree on ancestry.com recorda that he was born January 21st 1908, at Reval, Harjumaa in Estonia. His full name was Etienne John Girard de Soucanton. His father was the Honorary British Consul in Reval.

On the 1939 Register he's living at 23 Dawlish Avenue, Southampton, and employed as an Aircraft Fitter.

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Thanks all for the various replies. He doesn't seem to be someone who has surfaced in anyone's research.

I derived the initials from a 2nd TAF A- Report in my files. Another, A-690 dealing with the inspection of the Fl 282 V20 at E-Stelle Travemuende gives his correct initials.

Thanks

Steve,
    So what was our man Girard doing at the German Naval Airfield of Travemunde? What was he looking for, and/or what did he find? I suspect he did not go there just on the off-chance of finding something interesting! There must have been a purpose?
    The other thing that excites my curiosity is why does this Estonian-speaking RAF Fg Off retire as an A/Sqn Ldr (retaining that rank). Father was Honorary British Consul in Tallin. He was an “Aircraft Fitter” in Southampton (1939 Register) – Eastleigh Airfield long associated with Naval aviation. Is that the connection? Aircraft Fitters don’t become Sqn Ldrs without some good reason? Or perhaps he was a ‘spook’ – or on the edges of the ‘spook’ trade??
    Interesting?!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Or a suitably qualified bod who could recognise seriously useful new German technology if he saw it and had sufficient rank to commandeer it on behalf of HMG. I understand we had folks doing this sort of work in all spheres of newly captured territory.
    cheers PeteS

Thanks

I incline towards this statement. He was one of several guys working for Air Technical Intelligence whose job it was to inspect captured German airfields, produce a report on what was found and as part of that process identify types of particular interest.

This work was evidenced in two types of reports:

2nd TAF A- Reports - on individual aircraft. A series of around 700 such reports were produced of which precious few remain. I have only found a handful at Kew and elsewhere.

2nd TAF B- Reports - on airfields, landing grounds etc. Just over 200 of these were produced. Again, Kew's holdings are incredibly sparse but a reasonable number have survived in the AFHRA in the USA.

Girard clearly got to see and document a lot of interesting aircraft.
    Last edited by Steve Coates; 22nd August 2021 at 00:18. Reason: Typos

Thanks

Hi Steve,

out of interest, have you looked for Aircraft Reports in TNA AIR 24/1497 & 1499? I doubt there is anything there, but they are the part of the 2nd TAF ORB dealing with ATI (among several subjects), AIR 24/1525 are appendices dealing with ATI (among several subjects) Jun 43 - Dec 44, AIR 24/1530, same for Jan - Jun 45.

Cheers

Rod