Thread: Impersonating an RAF Officer

Thanks

Default Impersonating an RAF Officer

Slightly off-topic, but if Ross will permit?!!
    Yesterday I was in a large supermarket in my town. A young gentleman (not ethnic, bearded, with hair down to shoulders) walked past me wearing an RAF No 1 HD Uniform, with Flt Lt rings on the sleeve, and a Pilot's Wings above the breast pocket (no medal ribbons - as far as I could see).
    It is an Offence (in UK) to impersonate a Police Officer.
    It is an Offence (in USA) to impersonate any Military Officer, Warrant Officer, or Non-Commissioned Officer.

My question is:- was this young man committing an Offence in UK?? I ask (a) out of interest, and (b) if the possible RAF cuts are as deep as predicted then second hand uniforms may become very cheap?
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Have you checked if he is on service, actually?

Thanks

Peter, in this country you have to actually claim to be a serving member, or try to take advantage of somebody believing you are a serving member (free bus ride for example) to be charged. Walking down the street doesn't count, especially with a beard and long hair. (Franek, the beard and long hair TOTALLY rule out the person being on service in the UK and Canada.) Second hand uniforms, and cheap knock offs, are freely sold in trendy clothing stores and second hand shops everywhere I go in Canada. For some reason, there are a lot of 1980s style Wehrmacht cloths walking around Canadian campuses these days.

Thanks

Bill, I was just kidding, and explained it to Peter, who, if likes my post my private reply. That said, does the beard prohibitive regulations apply to the navy as well? And how about overseas posts, like Afghanistan, where beard adds authority?

Thanks

Peter

There was recently a case of a student on the UK TV programme "University Challenge" who appeared wearing a RAF Corporal's uniform.

According to the RAF News he was actually approached by the Police after the program and told he had committed an offence, so it must be illrgal, however, no action was taken as he did apologise.

Malcolm
    Last edited by malcolm_raf; 16th September 2010 at 19:37.

Thanks

Has the Uniforms Act 1894 been repealed or amended? It hadn't uptil 1967:

(wait for the video to be loaded)

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/1967/02/08/X08026701/?s=itn

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Where is Jonny when we need him?
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Franek, "neatly trimmed" beards are allowed in the Canadian naval branch of the CF. Integration and mixing of specialities has given this interesting results, as in Afghanistan today (for example) your Canadian stores clerk, doctor, demolition expert, or driver might properly have a beard, or not. But long hair and a beard - never.

This reminds me of when my father did a one year detachment with the US Army at Fort Sill in Oklahoma, one of a number of Canadian Army pilots getting heavy helicopter experience in the late 1950s. They would, quite properly, show up for dress parades in their appropriate regimental dress uniform. The Americans would see three or four Canadian officers, all with different shirts, ties, socks, and shoes, and couldn't understand it. The Canadians found this very amusing.

Ross, thanks for allowing a little light entertainment on the Forum.

Thanks

Default Lengthy Impersonation

I started to impersonate an RAF officer in late 1963 and am still doing it as a reservist to this very day - out in my 'combats' only yesterday!

So far nobody has rumbled me and my reserve commission gets renewed periodically. Mind you the short haircuts in winter are now getting harder to bear but my zimmer frame is a tasteful shade of RAF blue!!

OldRotor