Thread: Mosquito Crash, Nottinghamshire

Thanks

Default Mosquito Crash, Nottinghamshire

Hello,

I am seeking any further information, particularly the serial number of a DH Mosquito which crashed in Nottinghamshire on June 16th 1944, killing the two crewmembers, 126151 P/O Joseph Kevin de Roeck and 1405407 Sgt Finlay William David Hearn.

I have contacted the RAF Museum with the above information, but I am advised that the AM Form 1180 for this aircraft is not held.

Thanks in advance.

Don

Thanks

Hiya,

The (somewhat conflicting) information I have for this one is:

"HJ767 from 60 OTU at High Ercall, crew PO Joseph De Roeck and Sgt Finlay Hearn. Published records show it as being lost on 16/17 June 1944 near RAF Newton, cause losing control in cloud.( I have Forms 78 and 1180 for HJ767) This is not true, it had engine trouble and circled the village before trying to land in fields to the west. On crashing both crew were killed and the aircraft burnt out. I have various small pieces of wreckage and am in contact with surviving family of Joseph De Roeck and am waiting for a reply from relatives of Finlay Hearn. I should be grateful for any further info on the crew and on 60 OTU at High Ercall. (http://www.mossie.org/forum/read.php?1,4166) Spun into ground pres. after control lost in cloud nr Newton 17.6.44 (Air Britain Serials) 17.06.44 60 OTU. HJ767 Pilot lost control in cloud at night, spun in and burnt out near RAF Newton aerodrome. (Mosquito Crash Log)"

Thanks

Hi,

AIR29/684 has the following:
    17th
    Aircraft Accident
    F/L de Roeck (P) & Sgt Hearn (Nav) of 22 Course were killed when Mosquito VI H.J.767 crashed in the vicinity of Nottingham whilst engaged on night flying training.

15th May
    22 Course (8 wks Intruder ex Canada) arrived and were crewed up as follows:
    F/O de Roeck J.H. - 7PRC, Sgt Hearn F.W. - 7PRC

Both appear in the No.22 Course Pilot and Navigator group photo.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.