Thread: Missing airmen 20/02/1944

Thanks

Default Missing airmen 20/02/1944

Looking for any further details on a Whitley LA927 went down in Staffs on or about 20/ feb 1944 from 42 OTU.

Thanks

Hi,

I have the following:

Whitley LA927 MKV 42 OTU RAF Ashbrourne.

Batch LA914 TO LA951 Del between 24/3/43 and 13/6/43.

Served with 297 Sq and 42 OTU.

20/2/44. Struck trees in attempted forced landing, crashed and burned at Yate Farm, Longdon,Staffs.

Sorry I don`t have any crew details, though it is possible Sgt William J.Constable RAFVR a Nav who died on that date and is buried in Ashbourne Cem was one of the crew?

Regards
    Dave

Thanks

The following airmen all died that date and are registered in Lichfield district, Staffs.

Sgt Vincent J Ashmore (WOp)
    Sgt Willliam J Constable (Nav)
    Sgt Frederick Hill (Air Gunner)
    Sgt William I Roberts (Pilot)

They are all on the same casualty list in Flight magazine, dated may 11th 1944 and listed as Killed on Active Service.

These may be the men. I imagine there ought to be one more name, I cannot see matching name using Flight and http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/search39-47.php

These might be the crew.

regards

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi Dennis,

It seems likely that missing airman is a 2nd pilot, I found in Geoff`s list 3 pilots not with Squadrons buried in the UK.

F/O Edwin McNulty. RAFVR.
    Sgt Francis Thomas Beaumont. RAFVR.
    Sgt Joseph William Francis Grant. RAFVR.

Poss one of these is is missing airman but I don`t know where deaths of these 3 were registered.

Regards
    Dave.

Thanks

F/O Edwin McNulty. RAFVR. -registered Anglesey West dsitrict, Anglesey
    Sgt Francis Thomas Beaumont. RAFVR. - Can't seem to see him registered in England or Wales
    Sgt Joseph William Francis Grant. RAFVR. No one with these initials, but there is a 20 year old Joseph Grant in Darlington Yorkshire North Riding.

other crew members are likely to be commomwealth member or other allied or perhaps was injuried. there are two Sgt's on the wounded list for that date in Flight magazine.

Constable is buried north of Lichfield, in Ashbourne. 45 Mins per Google maps!!

His wife was from Action, Middlesex per CWGC (circa 1948 probably)

Their marriage was in Q3 1943 in Brentford, Middlesex by the looks of it. Going back to his parents marriage its probably supposition and not sure that it helps. If Ashbourne is near the crash site, then any RAAF, RCAF etc airmen ought to be there also and there are none for that date.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello,

Another of the station's (Ashbourne) Whitleys was lost on 20 February (1944), when the engines gave trouble owing to severe icing near Lichfield. The crash came at 20.09hrs and while attempting a forced landing the tail struck some trees and the aircraft crashed into the ground killing the four crew members. Leading Aircraftman Cyril Durrant , the ambulance driver and now also in charge of the mortuary, was despatched to the scene of the crash to recover the bodies.

See:
    Royal Air Force Ashbourne.
    Giddings,Malcolm L.
    Ashbourne:Colerne Debden Publishing,1984.
    p.66

Col.