Thread: My Fathers R.A.F Research.

Thanks

Default My Fathers R.A.F Research.

Hello i wonder if any members may be able to help me in my research of my late fathers R.A.F records.His name was Joseph Mitchell R.A.F number W.O 992208.I have recieved a copy of his service records from the M.O.D and much of it has been very helpfull though i am a little confused by a certain abreviation that i cannot find any information on.The abreviation is in the 'Unit To' column and is written with various dates as follows.3055 S.E,6263 S.E,6345 S.E,6263 S.E and 6345 S.E respectively.I have no idea what S.E stands for.Whilst he was training in Canada with 1 School of Air Navigation he was discarged from what appears to be a squadron hospital (if there was such a thing) on 1/3/42 (the handwriting is not very clear and there is no admittance date)then admitted to Christie Street Hospital,Ontario on 15/9/43.He was later discharged on 21/9/43 for Home Embarkation on 13/12/43.He was also admitted to Portway Hospital,Weymouth upon his return.He went on to serve in various squadrons 598,285,41 O.T.U and 595 Sqd.My family have always believed he was in an accident whilst in Canada and the records seem to bare this out.We have no idea what he did between 26/11/40 and 13/12/43 whilst in Canada.Would it be possible to find out why he was in these hospitals i.e crash reports or medical records ?.My father never spoke of his experiences and my mother is in her 80's and wishes to know as much as she can and any information or help to put me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated by us all.Appologies to all if my post is rather long.All the best.

Thanks

Snailster,
    All the numbered units with the letters S.E. following will be "Servicing Echelons" which were actually the groundstaff of squadrons formed into nominally independent units to facilitate rapid movement and deployment in many cases, such as those squadrons of the 2nd TAF intended for ultimate deployment to the continent. However even heavy bomber squadrons of Bomber Command at certain stages had their ground personnel organized into Servicing Echelons. No doubt others will soon be on this board with details of the squadrons associated with "your" echelons.
    David D

Thanks

Hello,

I'm following up what David has explained about the Servicing Echelon.

Actually, one had just to look at the last 3 digits to know the Squadron "linked" to the S.E., when in number is the 6xxx series : 263 Squadron was flying Typhoons and 345 was a French Squadron flying Spitfires. Did he ever mentioned working with/for French pilots ?

3055 SE was servicing the Whirlwinds of No. 263 Squadron, and was renamed 6026 SE on 22nd March 1944 according to "Flying Training and Support Units since 1912", but this might be in error, as elsewhere in the same book, the authors explain that 6026 was servicing 26 Squadron's Spitfires. No. 263 Squadron Westland Whirlwinds were later replaced by Hawker Typhoons, so it make sense he remained with the same unit, but he would have undertaken a conversion course as the machines were quite different, either airframe or engine !

Dates would help up to give you the airfields where he was stationed, as after the invasion and liberation of Europe, the Squadrons and associated SE were frequently on the move.

Joss

Thanks

Hi
    When was your father with 41 OTU?
    My father was with 41 OTU (operational training unit) at Hawarden and Poulton from Nov 43 to Sept 44.
    I have copies of 41 OTU Operational Record Book for that time.

Cheers Motherbird

Thanks

Default Mitchell

G'day

I checked all the flying training accidents in Canada during the Second World War involving personnel with he last name of Mitchell and only three showed up. Your father was not one of them.

Could he have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or some other non-flying related accident?

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David Duxbury View Post
    Snailster,
    Quote removed. read the sticky.
    Ross
    David D
    Hi David.Many thanks for your reply and appologies for not replying sooner.Im new to the forum and i'm not too shure how to navigate around !.Ive just noticed a number of post i had'nt seen before.Your information has been a great help and i'm slowly getting to the bottom of this time in my fathers life.I was told it may not be easy and they were'nt wrong.He rarely spoke of his time in the R.A.F so any information recieved is very much appreciated.Once again many thanks and all the very best,Brian.

Thanks

Default fathers R.A.F research

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    G'day

quote removed. read the sticky.
    Ross

Cheers...Chris
    Hi Chris.Many thanks for your reply and many appologies for not replying sooner.I'm new to the forum and not shure how to navigate around !.It did cross my mind that he may have been involved in some other kind of accident though i just presumed that it was an air accident as ive been told that there were quite a few during training and that he may have been involved in one.He was'nt one to talk about his time in the R.A.F so i really have no idea.I would imagine it would be very difficult to access medical records from Canada ?.Especially given the time frame involved.It's a fascinating search though frustrating at times so i believe a lot of patience is required.Once again many thanks for your reply.All the very best,Brian.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by motherbird View Post
    Hi
    Quote removed. Read the sticky.
    Ross
    Cheers Motherbird
    Hi Motherbird.Many thanks for your reply and appologies for not replying sooner.I'm new to the forum and not shure how to navigate around !.From his records it says he was with 285 Squadron to 16/11/44 then went to 41 O.T.U on 22/1/45.He then went onto 595 Squadron on 13/7/45.My father must have joined 41 O.T.U some 4 months or so after your father.From what i have managed to discover No 41 O.T.U was split into two units on 1/2/45.No 41 O.T.U Day Fighter Wing moving to Poulton on 12/3/45 and the Hawarden unit moved to Chilbolton on 23/3/45 eventually disbanding on 26/4/45/.With this in mind my father must have only been with the unit for around ten days before moving on.I only live approx 50 miles from Hawarden and pass it many times !.Do you happen to know where i could i get any copies of the Operational Record Book for the time my father was there ?.Many thanks for your your reply Motherbird,I often think it's a small world we live in !.All the very best,Brian.

Thanks

Hi Joss many thanks for your reply and apollogies for the late response.My father was H.E from Canada on 13/12/43.He then went to 3055 S.E on 21/12/43.On 15/3/44 he was admitted to Portway Hospital,Weymouth and was discharged 31/3/44.He then joined 6345 S.E (a) on 21/4/44.Then 6263 S.E then 6345 S.E(3) before finally joining 598 Squadron on 29/10/44.All the dates for when he was with an S.E are simply dated as 21/4/44.I hope these dates will be of help to you.All the very best,Brian.