Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gladiator prangs

Thanks

Default Gladiator prangs

Hi,

Over the part few years I've been compiling a list of all Gladiator accidents and losses. I'm also working on a detailed listing of all Gladiator claims as well.

Can anyone help with the following. I'm looking for pilots names and any other details concerning the accidents/mishaps. All appear to be non fatal.

11 March 1937, K6139, 72 Sqn. Engine cut; overturned in forced landing, Odiham.
    25 May 1937, K7893, 3 Sqn. Overshot landing and hit hedge, Kenley.
    24 June 1937, K7676, Glosters. Lost wings on air test and abandoned, Brockworth.
    3 July 1937, K7953, 73 Sqn. Wings folded during aerobatics and abandoned, Debden.
    19 July 1937, K7971, 87 Sqn. Undershot landing and hit hedge, Debden.
    26 July 1937, K7993, 56 Sqn. Landed too fast and overshot, North Weald.
    5 August 1937, K7909, 80 Sqn. Overshot flare path and hit hedge, Debden.
    29 September, K7967, 87 Sqn. Collided with K7968 on landing, Debden.
    29 September, K7968, 87 Sqn. Collided with K7967 on landing, Debden.
    14 October 1937, K7955, 73 Sqn. Hit goal posts on take off, Sutton Bridge.
    21 October 1937, K7975, 87 Sqn. Engine cut forced landed in ploughed field.
    23 November 1937, K7896, 3 Sqn. Flew into trees, Warlingham.
    29 November 1937, K7906, 80 Sqn. Aileron jammed by trailing aerial, forcelanding, Debden.

Thanks.

Alex

Thanks

Default Gladiator prangs

Alex , although i cannot help you further with your list , i wondered if you have details of the GLADIATORS THAT WERE attached to 61 OTU REDNAL for film work a WELLINGTON WAS ALSO ATTACHED to provide the camera ship the film was about the campaign in GREECE i dont know if the film was ever produced , but a book of the same name appeared
    called SIGNED WITH THEIR HONOUR BY James Aldridge .
    during this filming two gladiators collided close to the ENGLISH /WELSH border no one was hurt but an interesting story , i think a third Gladiator was also involved in an accident while attached to the unit , i have more detail if it is of use to you a/c serial; numbers pilots etc locations . let me know but i suspect you have the details
    phill jones

Thanks

Alex,
    N5831. Taxied into a fuel dump at Wadi Seidna, Sudan, 10 Mar 43. WO2 C R Dixon (R/88217 RCAF, RAF 1412 (Met ) Flight, Khartoum, killed).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Phil,

I have details of the 61 OTU Glads that took part in the filming. I also have the book by James Aldridge. I'll post what info I have later tonight. We have visitors at the moment.

Peter,

Thanks for the info on N5831, much appreciated.

Alex

Thanks

Default Gladiator prangs

Hi Alex

A couple of answers for you:

3 July 1937, K7953, 73 Sqn. Wings folded during aerobatics and abandoned, Debden. - PO JA Thomson baled out safe
    23 November 1937, K7896, 3 Sqn. Flew into trees, Warlingham. - PO HE Vickery - sprained ankle (this pilot later with 263 Sqn)
    29 November 1937, K7906, 80 Sqn. Aileron jammed by trailing aerial, forcelanding, Debden. - Percy Oldroyd, unhurt

All the best

Niall

Thanks

Hi Phil,

A couple of extracts from an article I did based on the flim work with 61 OTU.

From mid October 1943 a number of Gladiators arrived at Rednal. Sources differ as to the number of Gladiators used it varies between 9-12. So far 10 have been identified and they are K6149, K7898, K7927, K8004, K8042, K8044, K8045, K8046, L8302 and N5903. A Wellington was also brought in to be used as a camera plane. This force of aircraft was officially termed Q Flight and was attached to 61 Operational Training Unit (OTU) probably for administration and maintenance duties.

The 24th November saw the loss of two more Gladiators. Flt Lt Kleimeyer (K7927) and 2/Lt Bache (K8045) were carrying out a formation change when they both collided. The two pilots were able to bale out, although both were injured. The accident card for K7927 had the following:

“Collision in mid air when aircraft changing formation. Pilots baled out. Flt Lt Kleimeyer did not maintain a proper lookout while in formation, which was not authorised by the I/C flying for this work. Sqn Ldr Acworth was negligent in not obtaining OC flying’s permission to use OTU instructors. CO concurs. Recommends cessation of Sqn Ldr Acworth’s attachment to film with GP Com.”

I don't want to publish the whole article here as it has not been published yet. I can email you a copy and you can see if you can add any more details.

Two pilots that were with the unti at this time were Sqn Ldr Richard Alvin Acworth, DFC and Flt Lt Hugh Dudley Wanklyn Flower. Both these pilots saw action in Greece flying Gladiators with 112 and 80 Sqns respectively. It must have seemed strange to make a film about actions they would have flown in.

NiallC,

Thanks for the info on some of the losses. I have Vickery as being in K7898, which was another 3 Sqn Glad that was lost on the same day, although that could be a typo on my part. Does your info come from the Accident Crard?

Regards,

Alex

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Crawford View Post
    NiallC,

Thanks for the info on some of the losses. I have Vickery as being in K7898, which was another 3 Sqn Glad that was lost on the same day, although that could be a typo on my part. Does your info come from the Accident Crard?

Regards,

Alex
    Alex,

Niall is correct with K7896 - a photo in Harold Vickery's photo album confirms. Given that the aircraft was rolled up into an almost unrecognisable ball upon impact, it's amazing that Vickery got off so lightly. Vickery, by the way, was one of those lost in the tragic sinking of 'Glorious' in June 1940.

Errol

Errol

Thanks

Hi Errol,

Thanks for the confirmation, I'll adjust my list accordingly.

Alex

Thanks

Default Gladiator Prangs

[Morning ALEX. , yes i would love to see your as unpublished article on the 61 OTU GLADIATIORS , if i can add anything then i will of course , many thanks
    phill jones

Thanks

Default Gladiator K7898

Hello everybody,

Most interesting info in this thread.
    If P/O Vickery flew K7896 on 23/11/37 is there anyone who knew who flew K7898, which as Alex writes also was reported as crashed (ROS) on 23/11/37?

Best wishes/Håkan
    WWII Biplane Fighter Aces
    http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se

WWII Biplane Fighter Aces Blog
    http://ww2biplanefighteraces.blogspot.com/