Thread: V Petersen, Sgt/RCAF - Sub/Ltn, FAA, killed 10 Dec 1946

Thanks

Default V Petersen, Sgt/RCAF - Sub/Ltn, FAA, killed 10 Dec 1946

For some years now, I have been researching the Danish WW2 pilot Viggo Pedersen. The only information was until recently, that he is mentioned in the memories of the Danish RCAF pilot Hans Martensen and a 1946 CWGC entry, cf.
    http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2975051

That lead me to Don Kindell's RN casualty list at http://www.naval-history.net stating that
    FAA, 782 Sqn, Merlin, air crash
    PEDERSEN, Viggo, Sub Lieutenant (A), RNVR, MPK

The "problem" was that my information indicated that he volunteered in Canada and not RAF/FAA. Now recently I came across information that he enlisted for RCAF (as Petersen, R.216293) in Montreal on 30 April 1923. He is trained as pilot at among other units: 2 EFTS and 9 SFTS. He is discharged on 6 February 1945 as Sergeant.

I still need to find out, why this RCAF pilot continued to FAA in 1945/46, and if possible find more information about his service in FAA/782 Sqn.

Would anyone be able to point me in a direction? (apart from the 782 Sqn ORB).

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin
    Last edited by Mikkel Plannthin; 20th September 2010 at 14:25.
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel, your man may have a similar history to a gentleman I have been researching with another person lately, an ex-RAF Dutch pilot who wound up flying for the Royal Canadian Navy post war. I believe that a number of RAF and RCAF pilots transferred to the FAA after VE day, and even shortly after VJ day, rather than be demobbed. 782 was a training squadron, which would fit with someone new to the FAA in 1946.

Thanks

Bill
    Thank you for this piece of information.

To my knowledge he is the only Danish pilot to have transferred.

A number of the RAF/RNoAF pilots from the war took part in building the Danish Air Force and/or the rebuilding of DDL (Danish Airways) that eventually became part of the Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS).

Regards

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

I have found new information from Sturtivant, Ray with Mick Burrow and Lee Howard, Fleet Air Arm Fixed-Wing Aircraft since 1946, Air-Britain, 2004, 0 85130 283 1

The aircraft in question was Fairey Firefly DK544:

816 Sqn ('C') 5.46; 22 SFTS, ferry flight, engine trouble, landed OK Usworth, Cat A 6.9.46 (S/L Evans) [? - listed as DK344]; 812 Sqn Eglinton, cross-country Donibristle-Maydown, ditched 2m N of Castle Rock, N. Ireland, Cat ZZ 10.12.46 (S/L BV Watling & S/L V Pederson killed)

It seams as if at least the aircraft was from 812 sqn.

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin