Thread: Fly Off Bryan Graham 65 sqn

Thanks

Default Fly Off Bryan Graham 65 sqn

Hi,

On the Air of Authority website it has Fly Off Bryan Graham (40341) 65 Sqn as losing his life on 25th November 1939.

I have Gladiator K8012 as being lost on this day. The aircraft was part of the Station Flight at Northolt. It spun and broke up in the air, Hadley Common, Middlesex.

Now from what I can gather 65 Sqn was based at Northolt from Oct '39 to Mar '40.

Can I put 2 and 2 together and come up with Fly Off Graham as being the pilot of the Gladiator? Or are these two incidents unrelated?

I know that the squadron was flying Spitfires at this time but could Fly Off Graham have taken the Station Flight Glad up for a spin?

Alex

Thanks

His death is registered in Barnet District, Middlesex. Age 26

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/barnet.html
    There is a place called hadley listed in that district.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi Alex,

I've been waiting for you know who to report in. He must be busy.

Sat 25 Nov 1939
    FIGHTER COMMAND
    Cloud reconnaissance.
    Station Flight Northolt, RAF (Northolt, Middlesex - 11 Group)
    Gladiator I K8012 - wings broke off after entering a spin over Hadley Common, causing it to crash near Barnet. The pilot is buried at Northwood, 5 miles NW of Northolt. Ice was considered to have been a factor leading to loss of control and the accident.
    Pilot: 40341 Plt Off Bryan GRAHAM, RAF - Age 26. 343hrs.
    Graham was serving with 65 Sqn, also at Northolt, at the time. He may have been rostered for the weather test flight in the Station Flight aircraft as an additional duty.

See:
    For Your Tomorrow:A Record of New Zealanders who have Died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915. Volume One: Fates 1915 - 1942.
    Martyn,Errol W.
    Christchurch:Volplane Press,1998.
    p.74

Amendments to Volumes One & Two.
    Volume One.
    p.74.
    GRAHAM, B - crashed at 1610. Court of Inquiry records aircraft as seen at about 1000 feet, engine back-firing and smoke coming from tail, then disappearing into cloud, climbing slightly, when two loud bangs were heard and it reappeared descending steeply streaming black smoke. Several objects fell from it as it spiralled down to the ground. The wings were found several hundred yards away from the fuselage. The Court considered that ice formation may have been a contributing cause.

See:
    FYT3/p.546 (p.214 has a biography of Graham).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 21st September 2010 at 08:39.

Thanks

Alex,

My Vol Three bio for Graham might also be of interest (note previous station flight posting):

GRAHAM, Pilot Officer Bryan.
    40341; b Waipukurau 25 Apr 13; Wairarapa HS, Masterton (Athletic Team); statement machine operator - National Bank of NZ, Chch. Selected for RAF SSComm by 30 Jun 37, emb for UK 14 Aug 37, arr 17 Sep 37; RAF & to Desford/7E&RFTS as Pilot u/t 27 Sep 37, SSComm [wef 27.9.37] & 1 Depôt 30 Nov 37, 3FTS 11 Dec 37, Pilots Badge 22 Mar 38, Stn Flt Farnborough 9 Jul 38, 65 Sqn (Spitfire) 4 Sep 39, kaa 25 Nov 39 (in Stn Flt Northolt Gladiator). Northwood Cemetery - C.40, Ruislip-Northwood, Middx., England. Son of David John & Florence Gertrude Graham (née Chamberlain), Papakura.

Errol

Thanks

Hi guys,

Many thanks for your replies. Nice to know I can still add 2 and 2 together, although sometimes I still come up with 5.

Errol, I'm going to have to buy your books. I can't seem to find them over here in the UK. Can I buy them direct from you?

Alex

Thanks

Alex,

I've sent you an email re the books.

Errol

Thanks

Alex,

Email bounced back on me so I've sent you a PM instead.

Errol

Thanks

oldrafrecords.com now has 65 Sqn ORB up and confirms Graham on Gladiator K8012 of Northolt Station Flight

http://www.oldrafrecords.com/db_browserecord.php?skip=41&origin=browse&rn=42

Thanks

Hi Paul,

Excellent stuff. I'll have a look through the ORB abd see if it has any more incidents.

Alex