Thread: Citation

Thanks

Default Citation

Hello everyone, I am a new member and I must say how impressed I am with the depth, quality and quantity of knowledge found on this forum. I admit I only stumbled across this forum whilst researching family matters and I now have a favour to ask. Could anyone please help me access and view the citation for my father's AFM? My father joined the RAF in 1939 as a VR and saw service throughout the Second World War as a Target Tow Operator in Flying Training Command, flying in all sorts of aircraft such as Blackburn Botha, Miles Magister, Hawker Henley and Fairey Seal.
    His details: 750018 Cpl R E Channing
    The AFM was Gazetted in Sep 1945.
    Here's hoping I can see the Citation,
    Jonathan Channing

Thanks

Perhaps you could provide a few career details (enlistment date, a more thorough list of postings - assuming he kept a logbook - date of demobilization) to pad out the entry that follows:

CHANNING, Roy Edward, Corporal (750018, RAFVR*) - No.11 Air Gunners School - Air Force Medal - awarded as per London Gazette dated 7 September 1945. Public Record Office Air 2/9117, courtesy of Steve Brew, has citation drafted when he had flown 1,160 hours, all on current duties, 97 in previous six months.

"This airman is employed as a Towed Target Operator. He is an extremely keen and reliable Non-Commissioned Officer who has carried out his duties in an exemplary manner. His cheerfulness and punctuality are a real help and inspiration. His loyal sense of duty and the interest he takes in the training of Air Gunners command the respect of all ranks."

Thanks

Default Citation

Many thanks for such an immediate and helpful response, I am very grateful.
    I have Dad's F1767 - Observers and Air Gunners Flying Log Book and this certifies R E Channing 750018 V.R. as a qualified Tow Target Operator wef 15 Mar 1940, at 10 AOS, RAF Warmwell, Dorset.
    T.T.O Jurby Release Gear wef 22 Apr 1943, 10 AFU, RAF, Dumfries.
    T.T.O for Fighter Aircraft Exercises wef 10 Jan 1944, 11 AGS, RAF, Andreas, Isle of Man.
    ......has been on flying duties from 15 Mar 1940 to 30 jun 1945 - logged 1176 hrs.
    A subsequent entry for actual flying record in Mar 1940 is certified by OC A Flt, 10 B & GS Warmwell. This all ties in with what I had already found out about his Unit and it's later changes in name.
    Entries for Jan 1941 show Sgt Sgt Cwynar as Pilot, later awarded the DFC (unless I'm mistaken), but there are so many entries. A very quick look through and I found: "F/Sgt Rygiel (Polish Pilot) L3411 Hawker Henley engine failure crash landed along sand bank in Solway (wheels up) low tide. Fortunate".
    Yes, quite.
    Another, Jan 1940: "F/O Mawer and T.T.O Cpl Fewings crashed on take off", and I believe Cpl Fewings survived that too; I vaguely remember visiting someone called Jack Fewings with Dad when I was a boy. Entry for 22/23 Aug 1943: Turkish Spitfire pilots Target practice! Verey pistol with red flare to hand. Well I hope this is of interest to someone. I am thinking of the possibilities of electronically scanning the whole book, but I'm not going to let it out of my possession yet.
    Jonathan
    Last edited by jonathanchanning; 22nd September 2010 at 19:34. Reason: Subject matter