Thread: Crash of Hampden AE 116 at Waddington.

Thanks

Default Crash of Hampden AE 116 at Waddington.

In the early hours of September 3rd 1941, 50 Squadron Hampden AE 116 crashed at Waddington after running out of fuel. The crew had been on a mine laying operation to Copenhagen harbour.

I am interested in seeing either a crash or accident report for this occurrence. I am requesting the help of the forum in the hope that someone can point me in the right direction to obtain one.

This was an interesting night/morning for 50 Squadron. In addition to Hampden AE 116 crashing at Waddington, Hampden AE 157 crashed at the same airfield after also returning from mining Copenhagen Harbour.

In addition to mining the waters of Copenhagen 50 Squadron also sent aircraft to Berlin. Two of these aircraft crashed on returning to England.

AE 305 piloted by F/S Titcombe crash landed in Norfolk and X 2919 with Sgt. Mudd at the controls crash landed in Cambridgeshire.

Both of the crashes at Waddington and those piloted by Titcombe and Mudd were due to the aircraft running out of fuel after in excess of 9 hours in the air. There were only minor injuries to Mudd and another of his crew members.

In his career at 50 Squadron Sgt. Mudd was at the controls of 5 Hampdens that crashed. Apparently in addition to X 2919 Mudd was the pilot of AE229, AE394, L4120 and P4314 when they were lost or crashed.

I would be interested if anyone has any further information about the lucky/unlucky Sgt. Mudd.

Regards, David.

Thanks

Cannot find AE116 as a loss in Chorley for this date. AE157 reportedly collided on the ground with a 44 Sqdn Hampden in poor visibility.
    Bill.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

In this crash AE 116 was categorized as R(b) (Beyond repair on site) and therefore presumubly would not be in Chorley's as it was not a loss. It was eventually struck of charge in 1944.

Thanks

I tried to edit this posting without success so will post my update here.

This was an interesting night for 50 Squadron. In addition to Hampden AE 116 crashing at Waddington, Hampden AE 157 crashed at the same airfield after also returning from mining Copenhagen Harbour.
    In addition to mining the waters of Copenhagen 50 Squadron also sent aircraft to Berlin. Three of these aircraft crashed on returning to England.
    AE 305 piloted by F/S Titcombe crash landed in Norfolk and X 2919 with Sgt. Mudd at the controls crash landed in Cambridgeshire between Wittering and Wansford while attempting to reach Wittering. P/O Waddell and crew in Hampden AE 250 ran out of fuel trying to reach Cottesmore
    Both of the crashes at Waddington and those piloted by Titcombe, Mudd and Waddell were due to the aircraft running out of fuel after in excess of 9 hours in the air. There were only minor injuries to Mudd and another of his crew members.
    In his career at 50 Squadron Sgt. Mudd was at the controls of 5 Hampdens that crashed. Apparently in addition to X 2919 Mudd was the pilot of AE229, AE394, L4120 and P4314 when they were lost.

Regards, David.