Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oxford I P1868

Thanks

Default Oxford I P1868

Hello,

Seeking service history/fate of Oxford I P1868, from latest A-B serials volume.

Any help appreciated.

Col.

Thanks

AB states ;
    Oxford II
    RAFC
    6 FTS
    14 PAFU
    12 PAFU
    Crashlanded on decoy airfield while lost near Hemswell , 12 October 1942 .

Thanks

Hi David,

Thank you.

I have an early copy of A-B 'P' serials, which only states; DBR 12.10.42. Not much help for my purposes.

12-10-1942
    No.12(P)AFU
    Oxford I P1868

Crash-landed on decoy airfield while lost near Hemswell, Lincolnshire.

AUS412097 Sgt (Pilot) Thomas John BASSETT RAAF - Slightly Injured. (later DFC, 576 Sqn.)

Any further information on this incident would be appreciated (Have DFC Citation).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 24th September 2010 at 11:00.

Thanks

Hello,

Following on from my earlier posting on AUS412097 Thomas John BASSETT RAAF. Seeking more information on this incident:

16/17-12-1943
    No.576 Sqn.
    Lancaster III JA957:UL-X2
    Op: Berlin.

Overshot the flare path at Wickenby, having been diverted there, and made a crash landing with the undercarriage up in bad weather.

W/O T J BASSETT and crew.
    Three crew injured.

See:
    Bombers Over Berlin:The RAF Offensive November 1943 - March 1944.
    Cooper,Alan W.
    London:Kimber,1985.
    p.252.

Nix in BCL. No a/c loss, no entry! ( I know the fate of JA957).

Crew names would be welcomed.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 25th September 2010 at 08:04.

Thanks

Default Ja 957

Hello,
    My grandfather was aboard this plane at the time of the crash. He was Flight Officer Rogers. I have researched some websites regarding plane crashes in Lincolnshire but have not found any mention of this plane. Do you know any information could of some use to me

Many thanks

Jason

Thanks

Hello Jason,

Welcome to the Forum.

I haven't reviewed the file of AUS412097 W/O T J BASSETT RAAF for quite a while. Here is the citation for his DFC:

' One night in December, 1943, Warrant officer Bassett was the pilot of an aircraft detailed to attack Berlin. Whilst crossing the North Sea, the rear gunner complained of the lack of oxygen. The cause could not be ascertained. To afford the gunner some relief, Warrant Officer Bassett came down to a lower altitude and continued on his course. When nearing the target area, one of the bomber's engines became unserviceable and had to be feathered. Nevertheless, Warrant Officer Bassett persisted in his mission and successfully attacked the target. He is a most determined and resourceful captain, whose example has greatly inspired his crew.'

l'm not sure if the citation refers to the 16/17-12-1943, but there is a good chance that it does.

One of the members of this Forum, has the complete 576 Sqn. ORB. Possibly he can help with further details.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 21st August 2013 at 17:04.

Thanks

Col/Jason,
    Crew details for the crew on the date concerned were....
    WO T.J. Bassett.
    Sgt E.A. Brown.
    F/O H.L. Rees.
    Sgt B.R. Round.
    F/Sgt W.H. Rogers.
    Sgt A.J. Palfreman.
    F/Sgt L. Brettell.

Not sure about which raid (only three to Berlin in Dec 43 by 576) was referred to in the citation. The raid on 2/3rd, has, that Bassett had engine failure, and returned early, nothing about lack of oxygen, or pressing on to target.
    Nothing about engine failure and oxygen on the 16/17th, just states Bassett diverted to Wickenby where he crashlanded. He did not fly on the 3rd Berlin op on 23/24th.
    This crew were posted in from 103sqdn on 25th Nov 43, only did the two ops to Berlin above, and were posted out to 27 OTU on 5th Jan 44, so presumably did a number of ops with 103sqdn beforehand.
    Alan.

Thanks

Hello Alan,

That information is much appreciated.

Bassett was posted in to No.103 Sqn on 9th July, 1943, so l imagine he did indeed fly quite a number of ops. Thomas John 'Jack' Bassett DFC, passed away at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown, Sydney, on 19th May, 1964.

l believe F/Sgt W H ROGERS, is actually - AUS420599 F/Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.) William Hungerford ROGERS RAAF.

Thanks Mate.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 22nd August 2013 at 18:45.

Thanks

Hi Col,
    Thats correct about William Hungerford Rogers, i also answered to a post on Bombercrew.com forum on the subject. Any idea of what Bassett died from, as it seems a very early age.
    Alan

Thanks

Default William Hungerford Rogers

Alan/Col,

I have received some information from oz regarding, the crash on JA 576. It states that three were injured, according to my late grandmother, William eventually died of cancer possibly brought on from shrapnel substained in the crash, this was after returning to oz in 1944 he passed away in 1945, but this is what she quoted to my father. But if the plane did go down in Wickenby I still can not find any information of the crash on websites detailing such events, including who was injured and those that wer,nt.

Jason