Thread: Wellington Crashes - Mar 7 and Dec 23 1942

Thanks

Default Wellington Crashes - Mar 7 and Dec 23 1942

I am researching the history of Derek Colin Fowler DFM 1332209/139272. He was involved in two crashes. The first in aircraft BB475?? after being attacked by a JU88 and the second on Dec 23 1942 in aircraft A of 69Sqn??

Anybody able to help with anymore detail?

Fowler is believed to be the youngest pilot to have received the DFM in WW11.

Thanks

Tavender quotes the DFM citation in his book as being for action with 38 Squadron whilst attacking a convoy at night in October 1942 . Fowler was the pilot . At that time the squadron was based at Shallufa flying Wellingtons on bombing , mining and torpedo sorties .
    Award gazetted 1 January 1943 .

Thanks

The Air Britain serial register gives ; Wellington Ic BB475 with the Overseas Aircraft Delivery Unit as missing between Gibralter and Malta on 27-2-42 . Believed ditched in the Messina .
    At that time 69 Squadron were also flying Wellingtons but I cannot see anything in the AB serials list for their aircraft in the H?_ _ _ serial range ?

Thanks

Default Derek Fowler, DFM

Quote Originally Posted by a1rbus View Post
    I am researching the history of Derek Colin Fowler DFM 1332209/139272. He was involved in two crashes. The first in aircraft BB475?? after being attacked by a JU88 and the second on Dec 23 1942 in aircraft A of 69Sqn??

Anybody able to help with anymore detail?

Fowler is believed to be the youngest pilot to have received the DFM in WW11.
    Sorry that I can't help with the war-time crash, but I do have the chap's immediate post-War log book, which commenced whilst he was still in the RAF, and which starts with conversion onto the C47 - it came to me as part of a deal from a militaria dealer. I did flag up this discovery on another forum, and received a response from someone purporting to be Fowler's widow. Whether genuine or not, this person passed up the opportunity to obtain it on the grounds that it did not cover Fowler's war-time service! I cannot imagine a family member passing up such an opportunity for any reason - I know that I and my brother would beg, borrow or steal to obtain such an item belonging to our late father. If you are interested in this aspect of his flying career - I know that many bomber types tried to get onto these courses so that they could start commercial careers - you can let me know.

Thanks

I can confirm Fowler as pilot in command of Wellington Z8715 for the accident of 23rd Dec 1942.

However the pilot for BB475 for the 27th Feb 1942 was F/Sgt A Moran RCAF, R/67676 - 6 onboard killed.

I cannot trace a commemoration or PoW record at the moment for Moran but his existence is noted on the 1st Sept 1941and 28th Sept 1941 here

http://www.156squadron.com/101Sqn/display_squadronlog.asp?yearz=1941&monthz=09

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.