Thread: Canada gazette online about G.S. Edwards, R.C.A.F.

Thanks

Default Canada gazette online about G.S. Edwards, R.C.A.F.

Hello,

I'm trying to find some details about Sgt George Stewart EDWARDS, R.C.A.F. R69672, a Stirling co-pilot in No. 7 Squadron. He was shot down on 8th July 1941 and was one of two survivors. Back in February 2008, Ken MacLean was very kind to provide me his first names from R.C.A.F. casualty list, which also listed his NCO service number.

I'm actually preparing a commemorative display to be given in the village where his Stirling crashed, on 23-24 October 2010, and while scrutinising the "loss card" which I copied at Hendon years ago, I realise that the service number quoted is different : J38644. And his this an officer service number, although on the loss card, his rank is still stated as Sgt.

So I tried to check if he was awarded a commission (and subsequent promotions) in the Canada Gazette, but without any success.

Can one of our Canadian members help me on this one ?

Thanks in advance

Joss

Thanks

His name appears in the Canada Gazette at least in Decemeber 1st, 1945 in a transfer to the RCAF reserve.

Search for the number in this format with out the slash,
    J38644

Not sure if this link will work. This is not his commishion but some time after the commishion.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/canada-gazette/093/001060-119.01-e.php?image_id_nbr=359479&document_id_nbr=9796&f=g &PHPSESSID=cjdltl0mm3sh7a1dke321chcf4

This may be the link to the search engine, http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/canada-gazette/index-e.html?PHPSESSID=cjdltl0mm3sh7a1dke321chcf4

I'm not finding mid war listings, all samples I've searched for returned in 1945r or 1946.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 25th September 2010 at 22:19.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello Dennis,

Thanks for your help. The first link worked all right. The second was the page I browsed from, using the "advanced research", but I find this works far less well than the London Gazette website.

Joss