Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 430625 - Unaccounted airmen - 25-6-1943

Thanks

Hi Alan,

Does the ORB have anything to say about a crew and their aircraft which were (I think) on 23 Squadron, as follows?

2 November 1943, G.B. Taylor and H. White both FTR.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Edit - Blast, apologies, I meant to push my luck and also ask about the crew of Farrelly & Sabine, apparently lost 17 August 1943.
    Last edited by mhuxt; 1st June 2011 at 01:54. Reason: brain trouble

Thanks

Mark,
    Files will be emailed sometime today
    Al;an.

Thanks

Many thanks for that Alan.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks

Many, many thanks for the info Alan, will respond in more detail over the email.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks

Hi Alan et al,

Just to complicate matters, the scans which Alan very kindly emailed me show HX802 as the aircraft lost on 2/3 November 1943, when F/O H. White and F/S G.B. Taylor failed to return from a road / strafe between Rome and Florence.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks

Hello,

Take a look at the following:

http://www.oldrafrecords.com/about.php

Hit - RECORD LIST, then - SEARCH

Col.

Thanks

Yow!

Thanks for that Col.

In reading further, the squadron diarist does mention that he'd been feeling under the weather in November ("sand fly fever" had apparently been making the rounds) and was relying on his squadron mates for information - very possibly finger trouble.

Thanks

Mark,
    It's unfortunate that, somethings, such as ORB details, cannot be wholly trusted. On many occasions, i've found entries for aircraft serial numbers still being in use, long after they've actually been lost.

Thanks

Hi Alan,

Yes indeed. I suppose ultimately one would have to check the aircraft movement cards, though I suppose errors can creep in there, too.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks

Hello

Sgt (Pilot) NORRIS, Ronald S. - 1247258 - the Graves Registration Report Form gives his unit as 52 O.T.U., linking him to Spitfire P8233. Furthermore, the Wiltshire Times of July 3rd 1943 reported his funeral, which included the following:

In an old village church, not far from where he met with an accident the previous Friday, which resulted in his death, the funeral took place on Tuesday of Sergt. Ronald Samuel Norris, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Norris, of Great Hinton.

F/Lt (Flying Instr.) Terence F. PROCTER - the Sussex Agricultural Express of July 2nd carried the following announcement:

PROCTER - In June, Flight Lieut. Terence Flexman Procter, R.A.F.V.R., of the firm of A. Procter and Son, Ltd., chemists, Eastbourne and Heathfield, killed in a flying accident while on service in Canada.

Additionally, the Eastbourne Herlad of October 23rd 1943 reported the following:

The funeral service and the interment of the ashes of Flight Lieut. Terence Flexman Procter will take place at Ocklynge Cemetery on Monday, October 25, at 3 p.m. The late Flight Lieut. Procter was killed in a flying accident in Canada, where he was acting as an instructor with the R.A.F.V.R.

LAC Eric W. TOMLINS - 1411631 - the Gloucester Citizen of June 29th 1943 reported the following, with a photo:

L.A.C. Eric Tomlins, son of Mrs. Mabel, and the late Mr. W. Tomlins, of 6, Moreton Cottages, Barton Street, who has died in King's College Hospital, London. An Old Centralian, he was employed by Messrs. Sessions and Sons, Ltd., before joining the R.A.F. in 1941.

Regards

Simon