Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 430625 - Unaccounted airmen - 25-6-1943

Thanks

Dennis,
    Sturtivant's "Flying Training and Support Units":
    No.32 Elementary Flying Training School (Canada): 27.11.41 Bowden, Alberta (RLG at Netook).
    No.32 Service Flying Training School (Canada): Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.
    No.32 Elementary & Reserve Flying Training School: Formed 15.4.39 at Greatham (West Hartlepool) in No.50 Group; disbanded 3.9.39.
    Still obscure to me.
    Henk.

Thanks

Anson DG861- parts of the aircraft and crew fell on the service road between Thornbrook Farm , Maybole and also between the smallholdings and Deanmill Farm, Maybole.
    The crew consisted of :-
    P/O H.H Want, P/O H.K Daniel, LAC F.O Hogg, LAC A.G Hawes and W/O W.G Gorton.

Ooops sorry this was for the 19-04-42
    Last edited by AL90; 29th September 2010 at 23:21.

Thanks

Hi Henk

According to TSGNO, Proctor and Harris were in Cornell, 14412.

Malcolm

Thanks

So they were:
    Lethbridge Herald - 5 July 1943
    Killed on Active Service (in Canada)
    LAC Stanley Harris London England
    Fl Lt Terrence Flexman Procter RAF84661, Mrs T F Procter, (Wife) Innisfail, Alberta

his family must have had his remains repatriated. Buried in England.

All is not always what we expect.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

I can confirm that 14412 crashed on 25 June 1943, while with 32 EFTS, but I have no info on the crew.

Thanks

I can confirm that 14412 crashed on 25 June 1943, while with 32 EFTS, but I have no info on the crew.

Some confusion here on my part: just checked another source,and this block of Cornells was delivered in October 1943. Something is not adding up here.

And more confusion: a third source has the request to scrap 14412 dated July 1943. I can only assume some mix up in the delivery records. 14412 does look like the most likely aircraft for the 25 June 1943 crash.
    Last edited by Bill Walker; 30th September 2010 at 13:14.

Thanks

Looked up Hutchinson on Scotlands people and he is recorded as Hutchison. Unfortunately he is the last record on the page therefore I can't find the names of the other crew.
    The crash of Oxford HN173 is a new one for me as I thought we had that area completely covered and had visited and photographed every site.
    Hutchison is buried at Salford (Weaste) cemetery where he originated from.

Thanks

I have been slowly accumulating information about my grand uncle who was in 23 Squadron and every now and then try and find info about the Squadron's ORB. Last week I had googled something like "23Sqdn ORB" and this time came upon your forum. What really caught my eye was that it was directed precisely at a thread containing the exact date of death of my grand uncle. Spooky...

My grand uncle was F/Lt GCR Moody, and I can confirm that the June date is correct for the loss of HJ766. I have also seen before HJ766 being listed as lost on 9th Sep 43. Somewhere at home, and I looked over the weeked but unsucessfully, I have the official letter to my great grandparents notifying them that their son was missing in action and I'm sure this date is before Septmeber. My father has always refered to his uncle losing his life in June 1943.

I put down this erroneous date as a date of possible official confirmation. The mission was overnight to Sicily as I had been told. Whatever the mission was it was deemed succesful as later photo reconnaisance showed. The mission was only a matter of about 2 weeks before the invasion of Sicily and yet the navigator was buried in Catania. I remember being told that the navigator was found washed up on Siciliy, so perhaps the body was found some weeks later after the invasion.

From the story that I was told there were other planes on the mission and they returned but there was a report of an electrical storm. It looks like the navigator bailed out but my grand uncle went down with the plane.

These details I haven't been able to co-oberate and therefore my interest in seeing the ORB to see if it fitted with the tale I was told. It may be that my grand father knew more than usual as he was also in the RAFVR, though based at Coningsby, I think.

My grand uncle learnt to fly privately in the mid-30s at the De Haviland School in Hatfield. I have a photograph of him by a Tiger Moth of the school, a plane that amazingly is still flying at the Tiger club in Kent, G-ACDC, I believe is the oldest Tiger Moth still flying in the UK. Also in the background is a Dragon Rapide G-ACPP in RAS colours. This RAS plane (City of Bristol) still survives too being restored in a Canadian museum. Amazing that both planes in the picture have survived for almost 80 years, though Hatfield Aerodrome sadly hasn't.

Being a trained pilot he was valuable to the pre and early war effort and was employed at White Waltham near Maidenhead to train incoming pilots. He wanted active service but it was a while before he was granted that. I have another photo of him astride the engine of a Hurricane with his crew standing in front and on the wing (which makes it a later model certainly) though I don't know for which squadron this would be.

So my grand uncle started and ended his flying life in De Haviland, from a DH82A to DH98 but I haven't got a lot of detail in between.

So if there is any info on his sorties with 23 squadron then I would be most grateful for help and any other info about GCR Moody (78846). Is the WW2 ORB for 23 Sqdn available online somewhere? Many thanks.
    Last edited by Stuart_Moody; 31st May 2011 at 17:11.

Thanks

Hi Stuart,
    I have a copy of the 23sqdn ORB, and there will be no problem in sorting through it for the information you require. If you can contact me via my email address in my profile, i'll get back to you.
    Alan.

Thanks

Hi Alan

Many thanks for that. I'll get back to you later.

Best regards

Stuart