Thread: 1st Off, Aage Valdemar Helstrup Laursen, ATA

Thanks

Default 1st Off, Aage Valdemar Helstrup Laursen, ATA

I have just found the record of his death in the England & Wales Index via www.ancestry.co.uk. The record states: "Aage V H Lausen, Age 24, Holywell, Vol. 11b, p 576" Could anyone tell me what these volumes are and if vol 11b, p 576 is likely to supply more information, eg. a birth date?

For more information on Laursen please refer to:
    http://www.danishww2pilots.dk/profiles.php?alpha=l&id=234

and to the following threads, as he has been discussed severel times on the old forum as well as in other forums, eg
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/airforcedeaths/message/1282
    http://www.rafcommands.com/dcforum/DCForumID6/10870.html
    http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=3851&forum=DCForumID 6

He is also mentioned on the list of ATA casulties at
    http://www.raf-lichfield.co.uk/ATA%20Casualties.htm

regards, Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Hi Mikkel
    The record on Ancestry is simply a copy of a page of the National Register of deaths between 1837 to date for England and Wales. They are in book form at a National Archive in Islington, N London and Ancestry, and other websites, reproduce them. The ref no would be needed together with the name for an application to a further archive in Stockport to obtain a copy of the Death Certificate which will contain cause of death (which may simply be a medical description of injuries or illness)and possibly place of death. The Certificate costs £7!. A copy can also be obtained,at the same cost, direct from the Registrar at Holywell but the ref no would not apply as local offices hold their records in a slightly different format, the name and date of death would be their starting point. The National records are held in one book per Quarter Year and in alphabetical blocks.
    This website should give you a point of contact for Holywell which is in the county of Flintshire in N Wales http://www.flintshire.gov.uk/webcont/newaToZ.nsf/0/5190C7E45DD47D7C80256C4E004F3744?opendocument
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 18th February 2008 at 12:32.

Thanks

Thank you very much for this piece of information / guide to death records in Britain.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

Default Death Cert details

Hi Mikkel,
    Further to Dick's post, a death certificate will list:
    1. the date and place of death
    2. the name and surname of the deceased
    3. their gender
    4. and maiden name (women only of course!)
    5. the date and place of birth
    6. the occupation and usual address
    7. the name of the informant, the relationship to the deceased, and usual address
    8. the cause of death
    9. the signature of the informant
    10. the date of registration
    11. the signature of the registrar

Dick mentioned that copies of death certs are available from Stockport; I think he meant Southport which is where the GRO (General Register Office) is situated, see this link: http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    If you do order a certificate, make sure you quote the Vol No. and page ref. that you've written above, otherwise you'll pay a further search fee.
    Hope this helps
    Max

Thanks

Hi Mikel
    Max is right ,I should have put Southport. Senior moment-sorry
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Default Senior moments!

We all have them Dick.....trouble is, mine are getting more frequent. I walked into the caretaker's stock cupboard recently instead of the staff room!! :-)
    Max

Thanks

Brilliant, Max! And with this kind of info I think it is worth the 7, that Dick mentions. I have been searching for a date and place of birth for some time now as the first step in determining whether he was indeed Danish.

Mikkel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikkel Plannthin View Post
    Brilliant, Max! And with this kind of info I think it is worth the 7, that Dick mentions. I have been searching for a date and place of birth for some time now as the first step in determining whether he was indeed Danish.

Mikkel
    Mikkel, You should be aware that a death certificate in Britain does not always give all the information listed by Galgos, in particular date and place of birth is not given in my experience.

Using the case of George Thomas Collinson as an example the certificate gives in this order
    Registration District
    Registration sub district
    in the County of
    The year
    Register accession number
    Where and when died
    Name and surname
    Sex
    Cause of death
    Signature, description and residence of informant
    When registered
    Signature of registrar.

Sometimes 'usual address' is included but may be no more than 'RAF Station XXX'

So if it is information about nationality, date & place of birth that is important to you I don't think a copy death certificate will serve.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Thanks Dave, but I'll give it a try. Mikkel