Thread: Defiant's 96 Sqd ,3 Nov 1941

Thanks

Default Defiant's 96 Sqd ,3 Nov 1941

A Long shot this one but it has to be worth a try .
    On the 3rd Nov 1941 , Defiant T4008 Of 96 sqd took on patrol , piloting the A/C was S/L R BURNS , who later took over command of the sqd , manning the guns was F/O W.Smith .
    while flying nr Rhayader in Mid wales the radio failed and they became lost , unable to obtain a bearing and with fuel getting low the crew baled out , around 02.00 am
    Now it has been suggested that a second Defiant took off in search of the missing T4008
    This A/C being N1575, WHICH WAS being flown by F/L VIC VERITY , AND SGT Armstrong in the back seat , At 09.20 hrs , the engine failed and a fire broke out , again the crew baled out .

Yet another Defiant was ordered to take off in search of the two missing a/c ,SGT SCOTT.
    piloting with a CPL In the back seat . it was soon discovered that this third defiant was having trouble too and ordered the CPL to bale out who announced that he had not been given instruction in the use of a parachute . so Sgt SCOTT decided to make a forced landing which he would have achieved had it not been for the u/c collapsing during the landing . all 3 crews got down safely despite a broken ankle .

can anyone confirm these details or add to the story , i would be most interested to find out the serial number of the third Defiant and the identity of the CPL.
    I think 96 sqd were at WREXHAM at this time .
    again thanking anyone in advance
    phill jones

Thanks

Hi Phill,

Your story is correct and Scott force landed near Whitchurch in Shropshire. I have loads more details on my lap top but it turned up its toes a few weeks ago and it's still being repaired. Should have it back in the next four or five days so drop me an email (you've been in touch with me before about the Gladiator's at Arddleen) and i'll send over what i have. Unfortunately though i've been unable to identify the ground crew Corporal acting as observer on Scott's aircraft.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Default Defiant's 96 sqd ,3 nov 1941

Tom , that's brill , will get back to you in a few days , thank you very much
    bw phill