Thread: London Gazette Indexes

Thanks

Default London Gazette Indexes

Good evening,

I've just noticed that the LG Indexes are available on the LG site.

As ever with this site it seems to take a bit of fiddling about, but I think you should now be able to look someone up in the index for each quarter. It then gives you the page number, which you should be able to find by putting that into the main search criteria along with the rough dates. If you don't know the dates, you can presumably use the quarter dates, for example 1 Jan to end of March, etc.

There are different places to look for Decorations / Honours and Promotions.

It is a bit awkward, interested to see how others get on.

Thanks

Hi Jim, many thanks for posting this info.
    I checked it - I am not familiar with the index system, it is not so "user friendly" but on the other hand I think when a man will get into the system it can be very useful.
    I tried to find one DSO in 1941 which I know when it was awarded but no luck on the first attempt.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel,

Which DSO are you looking for? I'm interested to see if I can find it.

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks

Hi Jim

39392 Charles Percy Pickard DSO 07.03.41 which I found by the name and service No in the search a while ago.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel,

According to Manton's 'Honour the Air Forces' Pickard's 1941 DSO (the 2nd of his 3 DSOs) is to be found in the LG on 7 Mar 1941 page 1370.

Errol

Thanks

Hi Errol, I think the question was more of yes it is there, but in the scenario where one doesn't have acccess to the various books, can it be found just using the index. The answer is yes...but it is a stretch.

Let's say I was looking for someone awarded a DSO in 1941, I've tried an LG search with name and number and I can't find it. Don't know when in 1941 so logical first step is the first quarter. I believe decorations are always covered in the State Intelligence section. This is an alphabetical list, which contains other alphabetical lists within it, and covers lots of different types of government business, so it can get confusing, (Agriculture comes after Admiralty but before Air Force, so not all military subjects are together, and anyway, awards of medals are usually indexed under the name of the medal, not of the service) For lots of medals there is an alphabetical list of the recipients. For the DSO, the only lists are the page numbers that the medals can be found on. And yes, page 1370 is there.

So using the index would have got me there eventually...!

But, what is perhaps of more interest is that I think the award of MiDs have been indexed, at least in quarter one in 1941, see page 6 of the index.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/indexes/1941/1/006

It will be useful if they are there in every quarter.

Jim