Thread: Boston BZ500 lost on 1 October 1944

Thanks

Default Boston BZ500 lost on 1 October 1944

On 1 October 1944 the Boston IV BZ500 was wrecked when bellylanded at Cecina, Italy following flak damage over Faenza.
    Source: http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/usafserials.html

I would like to have some more details about the above loss, mainly the unit of this Boston when it was lost and if the crew escaped injury or worse.

Thanks in advance

Laurent

Thanks

Hi Laurent,

from A-B serials I can add:

18 Sq Hit by flak, Faenza, and bellylanded ar Cecina, 1.10.44

Unfortunately no info about the crew fate.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

I have no 18 Sqn fatalities for 1 Oct 1944 so assume the survived

Malcolm

Thanks

Thanks for confirmation Malcolm, I was thinking they may surivived (at least someone) as the plane is mentioned as "bellylanded".

So for the crew it will be necessary to check the ORB.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thanks to both of you

Thanks

Default BOSTON BZ500 My father in law belly landed aircraft and is still alive

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent Rizzotti View Post
    On 1 October 1944 the Boston IV BZ500 was wrecked when bellylanded at Cecina, Italy following flak damage over Faenza.
    Source: http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/usafserials.html

I would like to have some more details about the above loss, mainly the unit of this Boston when it was lost and if the crew escaped injury or worse.

Thanks in advance

Laurent
    My father in law Leslie Duran belly landed BOSTON BZ500 There is a story about this. I have looked into and I believe it should be taken further !.Leslie was 17 at the time( born 12th October 1926) and had joined up at 16 lying about his age!. He was trained in uk/canada and was a radio operator/gunner he did training and learned the basics of flying.On this day he was part of crew and they bombed Firenza taking serious flak damage, the pilot was mortally wounded and told Leslie to take over controls and died. Leslie had to drag him away from his controls and took over.He flew the badly damaged aircraft back to home territory and the only other crew member was the underneath gunner trapped in his turret. The aircrafts hydraulics were damaged and he couldn't lower his wheels but tried and tried but to no advail ( HE WANTED TO SAVE HIS FRIEND IN TURRET)He had no choice and belly landed (killing his friend ) at Cecina an emergency landing ground and was sole survoir. He was taken by Lysander Ambalance to an American Hospital and recovered . Surely this man needs reconition and he was never awarded a medal for this feat (He is now 92 and suffering from the early stages of dementia and if something is done it should be now ! My contact is michaelandandrew1@gmail.com and tel no 01235 537246 M 07967744762 Please see if you can help asap I have also asked RAF Museum if they could do anything Leslie was born in Canada would someone over there help

Thanks

Leslie Duran Phone number is 01189 478897

Thanks

I have a major problem here, since I have the crew as all surviving and no Duran as a crew member.. See MEBL 2 forthcoming I hope this year published by Air Britain.

There is a further problem, in that the Boston did not have an under turret, so there was no problem in a bellylanding.

David

Thanks

I checked the ORB and the crew all survived uninjured when the pilot bellylanded after flak damage caused hydraulic failure. No Duran in the crew.

David

Thanks

I have now checked five months between July and December 1944 and during that period no one by the name of Duran operates with 18 Squadron. The best evidence would of course come from Mr Duran's logbook, but I wonder whether that will turn out to be lost?

David