Thread: Mustang loss off Stavanger (Norway) on 28 Dec. 1944

Thanks

Default Mustang loss off Stavanger (Norway) on 28 Dec. 1944

Hello,

at the moment, I am writing the last volume of the JG 5 chronicle and especially the combats on the Western coast of Norway (end of 1944 until May 1945).
    I was wondering if someone on this board had found any evidence of a Mustang loss on 28 December 1944 off Stavanger.
    I have several JG 5 pilot log books evoking a combat with 6 Mustangs. And Uffz. Smejkal told me how he claimed one of them as his first victory. Any information would be welcomed.
    Erik Mombeeck

Thanks

Sounds like 315 Squadron, but there's no clues here:

http://orb.polishaf.pl/315sqn/1944-11/1944-12-no-315-squadron-f540

Thanks

This was 315 Sqn. I would need to check my files for further details, nonetheless a flight of the Squadron involved in a Roadstead got entangled with Me 109s. Polish pilots reported one single engined aircraft to ditch in the sea. I have somewhere account of the late Jakub Bargiełowski, who claimed to follow a German aircraft, which started to emit smoke and ditched with seized engine, all despite not being fired at. According to him he was not allowed to file the claim, but it is noted in his log book. No Polish losses.

Thanks

Hello,

At 13.15 on 28 December (1944), 12 Mustangs took off from Peterhead to cover two coastal patrols. Six Mustangs, led by Squadron Leader Tadeusz Andersz in 'A'. 315 rendezvoused with 12 Mosquitoes off Rattray Head before setting course for Norway... Although 16 Staffel (JG 5) pilot Unteroffizier Schmejkal claimed and was credited with a Mustang, Allied documents for this day state that no single-engined fighters were lost.

See:
    A Separate Little War.
    Bird,Andrew D.
    London:Grub Street,2003
    pp.82-3

Col

Thanks

Hello,

thank you for the quick replies. I have this excellent book written by Andrew D. Bird. I just wondered if, since its release, any evidence of a loss had been found. Smejkal's account was so clear that I beleived him.
    Maybe he hit several times the ennemy aircraft without seing it crashing. And finally - fortunately - the Mustang pilot was able to fly home.
    Cheers
    Erik
    www.luftwaffe.be

Thanks

No aircraft was damaged IIRC, and there is nothing to appear in the future. Documents are precise and give take off and landing times, aircraft markings and pilots. The only thing that may surface, are pilots' accounts, nothing more.
    Poles have seen burning German Messerschmitt, and there is only Smejkal's claim. Perhaps the answer is elsewhere?
    Last edited by Franek Grabowski; 2nd October 2010 at 12:09.

Thanks

Hello
    As I live just outside Stavanger, sounds like an interesting book coming up there Erik!

Not sure if you know the "Luftlage Tagesmeldungen" from AOK Norwegen?
    It states:
    14:57 - 1540 Uhr, 16 Mosquito und 10 Mustang im Küstengebiet Nordwestl. Stavanger mit Bordwaffenangriff auf Schiffsziele und 1 Küstenbatterie bei Skudenes, ohne wesentlichen schaden.
    Feindverluste:
    2 Flugzeuge durch Flak, 1 durch Jäger Abgeschossen.
    (PS: The two claimed by Flak was not a part of this group, but claimed earlier the same day!)

As for "KTB Seekommandant Stavanger", there are only details about the shippingstrike & the coastal battery by the Mosquitos, no Mustang`s mentioned at all... One of the Mosquitos is told to be "flying away with a huge smoketail".

Regards
    Erik E