Thread: Mention in Depatches

Thanks

Default Mention in Depatches

Hi,

On 26 July 1940 the London Gazette published a Supplement. On page 1 it reads;

The names of the undermentioned have been brought to notice in recognition of distinguished services rendered in connection with operations in the field. (First list, to March 1940, subjoined. Second list, March-June 1940, to be published later):

Of the 7 pages of names it includes two from 33 Sqn. These being;
    Plt Off W R Foster (39815) and Sgt W Vale (565293) both from 33 Sqn.

Would the above statement indicate that these two pilots had been Mentioned in Despatches or would it have to specifically state that the following names have been Mentioned in Despatches.

Alex

Thanks

Alex, I have not seen that sort of entry in the LG before; nonetheless, given the first sentence, which is the normal wording for m.i.d., I think it fair to say that your men have been awarded an m.i.d.
    Regards, Terry

Thanks

Hi Terry,

Thanks, I'll put it down as a possible for now with a note to try and confirm.

Alex

Thanks

When compiling a data base on awards between the world wars, I noted many instances of personel "brought to notice" and very few of specific "Mentioned in Despatches". In listing these people I treated "brought to notice" and "Mention in Despatches" as interchangeable.

Although I have not made significant changes to the data base (at least in this respect) I have had cause to question my approach. I have been informally advised that while a "Mention in Despatches" entailed both a London Gazette notice and a visible symbol (oak leaf on a campaign ribbon), the "brought to notice" was confirmed by the London Gazette but otherwise had no visible indication that the person had been singled out.

I have yet to see a regulation that specifically spells out the distinction but believe it bears further investigation.

Thanks

Hi Hugh,

I'll bear that in mind when I'm looking for further MiD awards.

Alex