Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing Log Book Pages

Thanks

Default Missing Log Book Pages

I have a problem I was hoping I could get help with.

I recently acquired my Uncles Pilots Log (RCAF) and have been studying it carefully.
    I am stumped now though.

He lists that he came to Malta flying a Spitfire from the HMS Eagle on June 3 1942.

He arrived in Takali Malta with the 603 squadron and logs half a dozen missions.
    There are about 3 or 4 pages that were cut out of the log book and on the bottom of the June page he writes in an August 5th date bound for Bilbeis, Egypt. He gets back to England and flys Wellingtons for Bomber Command as he did previously from 1939 to the end of 1941, and sadly dies in the spring of 1943 on the Pilsen raid.

My question is why would these pages be cut out. I am certain that it was done during the war.

Is there anyway to find out what he was doing during those months.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks

Hi Jacque,

I would say your best bet would be to get his service records from your Archives and try and match it up that way. I requested the records of a Canadian airman who was killed with my uncle and they have a great amount of detail in them.

Good luck,
    Regards,

John.

Thanks

Jacque,

Your Uncle's service record will show you what units he was posted to / from, and when.
    Unfortunately they won't have any of the type of details as recorded in his log.
    I have the service records for each of the 5 members of our family who served, they cost me approx. $200 each.
    What sqdn. # did your uncle do his later ops. on?
    A sad note re. the Pilsen raid:
    My friend was a primary marker with 35 sqdn.(Pathfinders) on this op.
    They mistakenly marked the local sanatorium, instead of the Gestapo barracks, which they were to target.

Paul

Thanks

Hi Paul,

I think you will find they were trying to bomb the Skoda Works on this raid.

John.

Thanks

Hi Jacque,

Care to mention your Uncle's name?

Col.

Thanks

Hi chaps,

very interesting post - I was writing an article about Lancaster lost on this raid over Dobrany where the sanatorium was located. There were several RCAF members aboard bout not the pilot.
    They were supposed to bomb the Skoda Works but the chimney of the sanatorium allegedly was mistaken for the factory...

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Brian Cull's Spitfires Over Malta (Grub Street, 2005) lists 32 Spitfires landing on Malta (from HMS Eagle) on 3 June 1942 as Operation Style.

Fifteen of those were RCAF (one US and one French national).

His name would help further research.

Adrian
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Thanks

The RAF Logbook has pages at the back headed "Record of Service" in which the holder usually (but not always) records their postings in chronological order are they there? are they missing? I have seen some "Record of Service" pages that record movements between bases while posted to a particular squadron. If your uncle was flying (especially on operations) during the month's you say that are missing then it would be a surprise to find that the pages were removed during the war.

Steve

Thanks

Default You Guys are the Best!

John Williams

I did a request the service record a few weeks ago. I didn't realize I could request more than one. Thanks

Paul

Yes I agree with John, from what I understand the target was the Skoda armaments factory. I think I read they made the gun for the tiger tanks among other things.
    After Malta he was assigned to the 1659 Conversion Unit. (Leeming)

Col Bruggy / AdrianR8

His name is Jacque Guay RCAF

Steve Brooking
    The Record of Service Pages are still there.
    He does list being in Malta at the time (june 3 1942- August 5 1942) but curiously the date was written over and what I can read is listed above.

Fellas again thanks for such a wonderful response.

Thanks

JOhn,

Yup, my mistake re, the initial target, thanks for the correction.

The Skoda Works was not even hit that night (only 6 crews bombed within 3 miles of the target) but, both the asylum & German barracks were both destroyed, killing 200+ soldiers.

Cheers.
    Paul
    Last edited by Paul61; 5th October 2010 at 20:03. Reason: added info.