Thread: W/C Jesse Holland Walker AFC DFM

Thanks

Default W/C Jesse Holland Walker AFC DFM

Hello,

Would like some details on W/C Jesse Holland Walker AFC DFM, who died on 12 September 1944 over Germany.
    His number was 64897.
    If someone has a picture of him, or in contact with his relative that would be great .
    He was with 83 Squadron when he died .

Thank you for your help .
    Alain.

Thanks

Alain

DFM 22/10/40 99 Sq. 'Since 25/4/40 this NCO has taken part in 26 major bombing attacks over Norway, Belgium, Germany & France. At all times he has displayed conspicious determination and devotion to duty. By his persistent determination and outstanding skill, this NCO at all times sets an example of the highest order' Tavernder

Thanks

WALKER, Jesse Holland, SL, DFM (64897RAFVR) - No.11 OTU - Air Force Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 1 January 1944. Public Record Officer Air 2/8959, courtesy of Steve Brew, has citation.

"This officer has been employed at the Operational Training Unit as a Pilot Instructor and, for the past ten months, as Flight Command. He has inspired all the instructors with the enthusiasm and care which he puts into his flying instruction and has been responsible for training many first-class pilots and captains."

Thanks

Thanks my friends !!

Alain

Thanks

Default W/C J. Walker

Alain:
    Walker was one of quite a number of senior officers lost from this PPF base at the time. S/L Belleroche crew also went missing on the (Sept 11) Darmstat raid. From records of earlier replies, Walker had been in air combat since 1940 and highly skilled and trained. His proven abilities likely led him( and many of the others) to assignment to more substantive tasks and responsibilities,carrying much more risk.

Walker may have just taken over "A" flight command, S/L N. Sparks FTR a week or so earlier. His T/O time puts him first out, his A/C leading the first wave of illumination at H-12. Oboe marking, when used would go down at H-13 or so. Perhaps, someone with 105/109 Sq. ORB's could provide record? Marking requirements were a little complicated with a square grid and spot target indicators on each corner. I had wonderered if the A/C of W/C Walker had been fatally attacked during this critical marking stage?

Alain, does any of your research offer any insight on the high % of loss of top crews?

My interest stems from my father being in A/C immediately behind that of the W/C.

Regards Ari

Thanks

Default Some new information?

I came across some information, which might be interesting.

As far as I know was WC Walkers plane ND740 shut down on the way to their target Darmstadt.
    3 crewmen were able to bail out and were later captured. The rest of the crew, including WC Walker died.
    And this is very interesting now: One of the surviving crewmen claimed later that he saw more than 3 parachutes open and that maybe the rest of the crew was killed on the ground.
    I have some documents of the BAOR War Crimes Group, which investigated this case after the war. My level of knowledge is, that there was no evidence of a warcrime. The 4 crewmen died during the crash.

If someone has detailed infomations, documents, photos or is in contact with relatives of the crew, please contact me. I would like to know more about this night nearly 70 years ago.

Regards from Germany, the place were the crew members jumped off

Christian