Thread: DFC and Two DFM's 44

Thanks

Default DFC and Two DFM's 44

Greetings All,

I would be most interested if anyone has information on the actual date in 1940 and/or operation that the following were awarded their decoration in 44 Squadron.

F/Lt (then possibly F/O. Francis Edwin EUSTACE. DFC 40613 RAF Captain.
    Sgt. Peter Victor McLaren. DFM NZ391862 RNZAF A/G.
    Sgt.. John Joseph CLINCH DFM. 616589 RAF A/G

I am not sure if their decoration were at the same time. Sgt McLaren was credited with an enemy aircraft. The date(s) of the action(s) are rather elusive.

The crew were lost on 26/27 June 1941 while with 97 Squadron.
    Any information would be most appreciated,

Thanks,

Digger.
    Last edited by Arthur Arculus; 6th October 2010 at 22:23. Reason: Title should read DFC and Two DFM's 44 Sqn 1940

Thanks

Sorry about the title, it shot off before I completed it!
    Digger

Thanks

Hi,
    some small bits of info, however I am sure somebody on the forum will be able to give you citations etc..

Eustace - DFC shown in London Gazette 13 Sept 1940 - no squadron shown
    Clinch - DFM shown in london Gazette 17 jan 1941 with 83 Sqn
    McLaren - DFM shown in london Gazette 17 jan 1941 with 44 Sqn

Regards,
    Rick

Thanks

Tavender provides the following:

CLINCH, John Joseph, Sergeant, 616589 - No.83 Squadron (source: AIR 2/9250). Recommended 25 November 1940 when he had flown 30 sorties (208 hours 45 minutes).

"The above mentioned NCO is recommended for the award of the Distinguished Flying Medal for continuous gallantry and devotion to duty. Sergeant Clinch has completed 208.45 hours operational flying as Wireless Operator/Air Gunner consisting of 30 flights. He has displayed outstanding ability on all occasions and during the course of his operational flying he was been Wireless Operator/Air Gunner in aircraft attacking Berlin (three times), Kiel (twice) and the attack on the 'Scharnhorst' in Kiel."

Remarks by Station Commander: "Sergeant Clinch has shown outstanding ability, skill and determination throughout the above operations. His work, both as an Air Gunner and as Wireless Operator has been of the greatest assistance to his pilotand has on many occasions contributed very largely to the success of the operation and the safe return of his aircraft to its base."

McLAREN, Peter Victor, Sergeant, NZ 391862, Royal New Zealand Air Force - No.44 Squadron (source: AIR 2/9250). Recommended 30 November 1940.

"Sergeant McLaren has completed 125 hours operationnal flying as an Air Gunner. On one occasion his aircraft was attacked by a Me.109 while returning from a bombing raid. Although harrassed by the enemy's fire, Sergeant McLaren shot down the enemy aircraft, thus saving the lives of his crew. This is but one instance of this NCO's gallantry and devotion to duty which have been a keen source of inspiration to other members of his squadron."

If there is a recommendation and citation for Eustace it is most likely at Kew in AIR 2/6102. If you get a copy of the page, I would appreciate a similar copy to add to a data base.

Thanks

Hello Rick and Hugh,

Rick:- Although I have the citation of McLaren I din't have the dates the others were promulgated. All the best to youand all your mates out in Afghanistan, from an ex Egypt man 1946.

Operationaly Eustace had flown with 44 Squadro from 28 January 1939 (26 ops); 106 Sqn from 17 August 1940; 207 Sqn from 5 December 1940 (2 Ops) and then 97 Sqn from 25 February 1941 (7 Ops) until his death 27 June 1941.

Hugh:- Thanks very much for your gen on Clinch, very helpful indeed. He has a relative floating around in UK according to 97 Sqn Assn, who I want to get in touch with.

I will pass on anyexta infomation I come across.

If either of youy would like a photo of the Kiwis of this crew, please get in touch with me at awarculus@xtra.co.nz

Cheers,
    Digger.