Thread: about Peter KING ( + Belgium 28.05.1944 ) ?

Thanks

Default about Peter KING ( + Belgium 28.05.1944 ) ?

Hi all,

In some old papers, I recently found some pics of 7 RAF crewmen killed in Belgium in 1942, about 30 km southern Brussels in Belgium. These pics were collected just after the war. There was also a pic of a RAF man. Behind this pic, just a name "Peter KING", unfortunatelly without other info. This man is in blue RAF uniform but without wings or 1/2 wings.

I searched in the CWGC and found this :

Name: KING, PETER CHARLES MORRELL
    Initials: P C M Nationality:
    United Kingdom Rank: Sergeant (W. Op./Air)
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve Unit
    550 Sqdn.
    Date of Death: 28/05/1944
    Service No: 1394149 Additional information:
    Son of Victor Hugo Morrell King and Violet Pretoria King, of Clapham Common, London. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Coll. grave X. 18. 29. Cemetery: BRUSSELS TOWN CEMETERY

Does anybody have a idea about the reason of the dead of Peter KING and the links with Belgium ?

Thanks.

Best regards from Belgium.

Thanks

Hi,

he was a member of lancaster JA712 shot down 28.5.1944 when on mission against AAchen.

See for example:
    http://www.550squadronassociation.org.uk/documents/public/550SquadronAvroLancasterBombers.pdf

http://www.lancaster-archive.com/lanc_ja-jb%20fate.pdf

The crew is listed here:http://www.lancaster-archive.com/lanc_losses%20may44.pdf

Date: 28 May 1944 Night/Day Raid: Night
    Target/Tasking: Aachen
    Crew Names: P/O E.C. Purney, RCAF +; Sgt. J.L. Sheahan +; Sgt. T.E. Flanagan, RCAF +; Sgt. E.J.
    Molnar, RCAF evd; Sgt. P.C.M. King +; Sgt. D. Yardley pow; Sgt. K.H.F. de Lengerke +

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Default Ja-712

Hi ,

Perhaps this can help you :

28/05/1944
    Rebecq-Rognon (rue Rastadt)
    Lancaster Mk III
    Oblt Thörl Friedrich Stab I./NJG4 0224 hrs
    3th victory
    Aachen
    JA-712
    550Sqn
    BQ-H
    North Killingholme
    P/O Purney Elvin C pilot J/19590 RCAF (KIA)
    Sgt Sheahan John L engineer 1800275 (KIA) –
    Sgt Flanagan Thomas E navigator J/92033 RCAF (KIA)
    Sgt Molnar E.J. (EVD) RCAF 3322/2274
    Sgt King Peter C M 1394149 (KIA)
    Sgt Yardley D (POW)
    Sgt de Lengerke Kenneth H F gunner 517767 (KIA)
    Buried Brussels town cemetery

Greetings
    Alain12

Thanks

Default Peter KING

Thanks Alain and Pavel.

The link is done. In the fact, Rebecq is near the place where the papers are coming from.

Regards.

Christophe

Thanks

Peter King was the son of the well-known variety entertainer, Victor King, who frequently starred in BBC radio broadcasts and worked on a show called "Workers' Playtime", where they would entertain factory workers around the country "somewhere in England". His mother Violet was a stage actress. I have a collection of the King family papers, including letters from his parents which I expect would have been returned to them by the Commanding Officer. I will shortly be using this small archive to create a tribute website to Victor King and I may well wish include material about his son. Would you happen to have scans of the photographs you mention?
    Last edited by KAllen; 17th August 2011 at 12:20.

Thanks

Default Peter King and Belgium connection

Further to my previous posting on Peter King, I am given to understand by the elderly caretaker of our building (where Peter's parents lived) that the Belgian authorities (at Rebecq?) made a gift of a box of Belgian chocolates to Mrs King every Christmas.

Thanks

Default I am a relative of Peter King

Quote Originally Posted by KAllen View Post
    Peter King was the son of the well-known variety entertainer, Victor King, who frequently starred in BBC radio broadcasts and worked on a show called "Workers' Playtime", where they would entertain factory workers around the country "somewhere in England". His mother Violet was a stage actress. I have a collection of the King family papers, including letters from his parents which I expect would have been returned to them by the Commanding Officer. I will shortly be using this small archive to create a tribute website to Victor King and I may well wish include material about his son. Would you happen to have scans of the photographs you mention?
    Peter was my Grandads brother . Maybe you could e mail me at eieio@hotmail.co.uk. Many thanks