Thread: RAF Service record question

Thanks

Default RAF Service record question

I am in contact with the children of a deceased RAFVR serviceman. He served during the WW2 and died in 1986. The family are of the opinion that they cannot obtain the records held on their father until 25 years after his death, i.e. next year.

I have been looking at the information on
    http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/ServiceRecords/MakingARequestForInformationHeldOnThePersonnelReco rdsOfDeceasedServicePersonnel.htm

My understanding is, that
    a) without being next-of-kin and without the consent of the next-of-kin one can get a small amount of information (extracts from the record)

b) without being next-of-kin, but with the consent of the next-of-kin one can get more information

But would not the next-of-kin be able to obtain the record prior to the 25 years limit?

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

That's the way I read it. Anyone who is next of kin or has their permission, needn't wait for 25 years.
    David

Thanks

Yes David is right I have the same experience.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

You have to prove NoK status, but once you have done so, it costs 30 to obtain the relevant service records. Retired Service personnel or their widow/widower can obtain the records for free. The 25 year rule comes into play when their is no proven NoK relationship.

As an aside, I would advise any individual to use the appropriate forms obtainable on the Service Personnal and Vets Website. If you write, they will only write back telling you to use the correct forms!

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

thank you gentlemen

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War