Thread: R/T & W/T expert needed.

Thanks

Default R/T & W/T expert needed.

I would appreciate any help the forum can be in helping me clarify my father's service record.

My father attended the No.2 Electrical and Wireless School at Yatesbury on June 17th 1940. During this time he made three flights in a De Havilland Dominie. These flights were logged as “Air Experience” and the student airmen received radio receiver training and transmitter tuning by calibration and back tuning to the transmitter. He qualified as a Wireless Operator on December 4th 1940.

On 13th December 1940 he was at Ternhill and stayed there for approximately 10 days before reporting to 9 B&G School Penrhos.

My question to the forum is what kind of instruction would he have had at Ternhill?

Thanks in advance. David.

Thanks

Hi David,

he may be posted to No. 15 Personnel Transit Centre at Ternhill where he just waits for the next AG course. For sure there was some kind of ground training, maybe drill, but nothing important.
    It was an usual procedure as in most caces it was impossible to send the airmen directly from one training to another one so they spend the spells in Transit Centres or Depots.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thanks Pavel. As I understand it they were held until the next Gunnery school receiving lectures on everything from personal hygiene to evading in the case of being shot down.

With a good dose of morning PT thrown in.