Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sgt. Sinjo R. Ryen, Norwegian, 247 Squadron

Thanks

Default Sgt. Sinjo R. Ryen, Norwegian, 247 Squadron

Hi all,
    I would like to know more about Sgt. Sinjo Reidar Ryen, Norwegian, 247 Squadron. He lost his life during the crash of the Typhoon MN597, ZY-E at B.14 (Amblie) 18 July 1944.

Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

Mojmir,

Air-Britain's 'Rise From The East' history of 247 Sqn by David John Marchant contains a dozen or so mentions of Ryen, though you may already be aware of this?

Errol

Thanks

Hi!

I may have some info on Sinjo. What are you looking for?

Stein

Thanks

Hi,
    Thanks for the tip, Errol. I’ll order that book.
    Stein, I am interested in pilots of Typhoons and about Sinjo - I know nothing. I am looking for his service number, his age, how he got to Britain, his training, service..., where his grave is... I would appreciate anything about him.
    Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

Hi Mojir,

The following extract is from WWW.warsailors.com and has details of his escape from Norway on a small boat.

M/B Sjøblomsten (M 60 HØ)

About 22'. Owned by taxi driver Rolf Dybvik, who, together with Magnus Feie helped 4 young men get away from Fosnavåg on Apr. 22-1941. They ended up passing Shetland and was found drifting on the ocean by a vessel from the Faroe Islands which took them to Aberdeen, arriving Apr. 27.
    The following made this voyage:
    Alf Johansen, Felix Victor Rozniecki, Sinjo Reidar Ryen, Einar Sandvik.

Also this link will give some details on the mission he was shot down. Scroll down to you get to 18 July 1944.

http://www.luftwaffe.no/Table2.htm

Hope this helps.

Alex

Thanks

Sinjo Reidar Ryen was born in Soerabaja (today Djakarta?) in Indonesia. The date was 22 Oct. 1921. Sinjo means "boy" in Indonese, his sister being called Nonni which would be "girl". His father was working for Det Norske Veritas, a ship clssification company.
    Having moved back to Norway, he joined school. At some stage during the early occupation of Norway, he, and his friend Felix Rozniecki, ended up beating a German soldier quite severly. Fearing that the Germans would find them, they arranged to be brought to England by boat. They both received training in "Little Norway" in Toronto, Canada. Sinjo qualifying for pilot while Felix ended up with one of the Norwegian Squadrons as a office clerk.
    Sinjo was posted to 247 Sqn, led by fellow Norwegian Erik Haabjoern. Sinjo was a master of pranks and mischief, causing a few grey hairs on Erik's head!
    During his service, he had several close calls, among them a rather harrowing crash landing where he was literally standing up, back to front in the cockpit, having failed to get clear of the aircraft in trying to bail out.
    During take-off from base, his engine failed and during the following dead stick landing at B.14 Amblie, the plane flipped over. I have two differing accounts as to what happened next. Either he simply broke his neck and died or the plane caught fire.
    Initially buried in France, his remains were re-interred at Vestre Gravlund in Oslo on 6 Sep. 1946.
    Felix Rozniecki later moved to Florida and changed his name to Felix Ross. He may still be alive. Must be 14 years since I last were in contact with him.

Stein

Thanks

Hi,
    Thank you very much to both of you for the quick and excellent replies!

Stein, do you know the service numbers of Sinjo, Erik Haabjoern, Gunnar Piltingsrud and Hans Ragnar Isachsen?
    Did Norwegians trained in "Little Norway" receive RAF service numbers as personnel enlisted in Canada or did all Norwegians receive the service number block or block as a nation? Or had Royal Norwegian Air Force its own ones?

Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

Default Additional questions

Is it because he has been moved to Norway that his name is not on the CWGC...? Seems that even if this is so he should be on CWGC. Are there other Norwegian brave lads who arent on CWGC for the same reason?
    Dee

Thanks

Dee,

The reason is the title of the organisation and the description of the debt of honour register.

The "Debt of Honour Register" is the Commission's database listing the 1.7 million men and women of the Commonwealth forces who died during the two world wars and the 23,000 cemeteries, memorials and other locations worldwide where they are commemorated. The register can also be searched for details of the 67,000 Commonwealth civilians who died as a result of enemy action in the Second World War.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Default Ah ha

Thanks Ross.. Will have to go to their site and look that up... I learn something new every day on here!