Thread: Squadron Leader Eric Alliott Verdon-Roe

Thanks

Default Squadron Leader Eric Alliott Verdon-Roe

Hi All,

S/Ldr. Eric Verdon-Roe, the son of Sir Edwin Alliott Verdon-Roe (founder of Avro) was killed on 26th July 1941 with 102 Squadron. I was hoping a forum member could list his postings from the outbreak of war up to his death. I believe he commanded a flying training school.

Many thanks,

Russ

Thanks

Russ

He was a Flying Officer, flight commander with 78 Squadron at its conception in 1936. 78 Squadron originally came from B Flight of 10 Sqn. On 7 Jul 1937 he handed over command of the flight to Flight Lt Harrison. Sadly I cant tell you the date that he left 78 Sqn.

Regards

Daz

Thanks

Default 78 Sqn on RAFRA

Might be worth contacting: Grp Capt Ivor F Easton RAF(Retd), 2 Orchard Lodge, Boverton, Llantwit Major, South Glamorgan, Wales CF61 1UH: tel 01446 793022 to see whether he has the Sqn ORB for that period.
    Dee

Thanks

Many thanks Dee and Daz for your replies.

Just as an aside and for curiosities sake, had S/Ldr. Verdon-Roe been captured, would he have been taken to Colditz and would he have been classed as one of the 'prominente'?

Russ

Thanks

Default Squadron Leader Eric Alliott Verdon-Roe

I am Eric Verdon-Roe, nephew and namesake of Sqd Ldr Eric Verdon-Roe. I found this thread this morning when researching his diary which is complete for 1941 right up to 25th July, where it stops... Quite moving. Interestingly his entries for the 24th include: 'Guest night, few if any of the guests could turn up due to operations (La Rochelle) and the party was a distinct flop, in all respects'. His final entry reads 25th July 'Up 08.00. 77 &102 on ops (a bit hard) Target HANOVER, briefing 17.00. Rang up Monkton Priory, but they were not in'.

He did not return.

Eric

Thanks

Thank you Eric,

Very moving indeed!

Russ