Thread: F/L David Islwyn Evans, DFC, 50 Sqn

Thanks

Default F/L David Islwyn Evans, DFC, 50 Sqn

In following up on this survivor of the crash of Hampden AE436, I see that, in addition to a Mention in Dispatches from early 1943, he also received a DFC in Aug 1943 while with 50 Sqn. Can anyone tell me why he transferred to 50 Sqn from 144 Sqn and what the citation for the DFC says?

thanks
    David

Thanks

David, Can I confirm you have checked the LG & Flight Magazine for any citation before I embark on a mission? Thank you.

But first

Hugh, Do you have Evans citation for his 1943 D.F.C. please? Thank you.

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 12th October 2010 at 23:05. Reason: adding a message for Hugh

Thanks

I do not have a citation; none seems to have appeared in Air Ministry Bulletins .... BUT

I looked at the London Gazette which announced his DFC - no citation there ... BUT

It listed DFMs to two airmen in No.50 Squadron (Albert Stewart Cooper and Victor Allenby Davis) - no citations there ... BUT

Ian Tavender's book has citations for both Cooper and Davis and both these citations he found at Kew in Air 2/8974.

I believe that if you consult Air 2/8974 you will find a citation - even a detailed recommendation - for Evans' award.

Thanks

Nice bit of sleuthing, Hugh, thanks very much. Now my only challenge is getting a look at those files, from here in Toronto. Is the only option for that to order them at a price from the NA website?
    David

Thanks

To my knowledge these files have not yet been digitized so are not available on-line. Nor would I advise ordering the whole file which might be a big one and still lack what you seek. Folk like you and I must either hire researchers or rely on the kindness of strangers (or at least the strange folk we meet on this Forum).

Thanks

Default DFC citations

Thanks Hugh.

David, I've sent you an email about thoughts on Kew. Maybe Ian Tavender still has a copy of the file or can give you the answer?

Norman

Thanks

Ian Tavender died a few years ago...

Thanks

I have just received my pro forma reply from the NA telling me I am out of luck on getting an estimate for this one - it will need to be researched. Is anyone heading for Kew in the near future that might have time to look him up? His s/n was 108570.
    David