Thread: Proving NofK status for RAFVR service records

Thanks

Default Proving NofK status for RAFVR service records

What documents do you need to send to prove NofK status?

I would assume Birth/marriage certificates but potentially even this could prove expensive.

In the case of my wifes Great Uncle:

Birth: X4 herself, mother, Grandmother & Airman

marriage: X4 ours, mothers, Grandmothers & Great Grandparents

does this look right and is it what are required to prove NofK status?

I will apologise now if this seems a stupid question but is just occurred to me how far some would have to go back to prove kinship.

Nick

Thanks

Default Proof of kinship when applying for RAF Records

Hello Nick,

When I have applied for RAF records from the Disclosure Office, RAF Cranwell, Sleaford, Lincolnshire they have always asked for documentary 'proof of connection' If you already have certificates going back to your wife’s Grandparents then you may be able to get by with just the airman’s birth certificate showing his parents and therefore the 'connection' you need. Otherwise I cannot offer a cheaper solution. Perhaps, others may. A thread earlier this month started by Mikkel Plannthin (9th Oct) discussed the amount of informaion issued when NoK cannot be proven. Do have read of it.

Remember you already have to fork out £30 after the proof of NoK. I have a feeling that this proving of kinship cannot go on for much longer as the Army have already ceased asking and seen a rise in demand. (more smackeroos) Perhaps you could give Cranwell a ring and see what the latest situation is? Should you succeed in your quest you should receive back one or two coloured pages in old foolscap size with chronological entries heavily abbreviated. They do send a list showing abbreviations but this never allows for weak and distorted writing/typing. Not to worry as there are many wizards on this forum who will be able to decipher them for you. The whole operation from start to finish takes about a month. Don't forget, send them photocopies not originals.

Good Luck.
    Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 12th October 2010 at 22:23. Reason: adding last line

Thanks

Many thanks for the reply Norman

I did have a read of the thread you mentioned but for clarification for myself and maybe others it was which and how many documents were needed.

When will the UK go the way of other countries? Austrailia, Canada etc?

As I said the potential cost can be staggering. I will give Cranwell a ring and see what the situation is a present.

Thanks again for the reply.

Nick

Thanks

Hello Nick,

Incidentaly, who is the airman you research?

Thank you
    Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 14th October 2010 at 15:32.

Thanks

Hi Norman

Sgt J.Wright RAFVR 1590868 is my wifes Great Uncle. he was MU/AG of Halifax V LK635 NA-H of 428 Sqn RCAF based at Middleton St George. He was only with them a month before he was lost over Hanover on 22 Sept 1943.

I have started many threads regarding this plane and crew but my research is ongoing. I am now looking for other avenues to try.

Nick