Thread: Looking for DFM recipient

Thanks

Default Looking for DFM recipient

Hi, I would like to know is their a Royal New Zealand Air Force man with the last name "Street" who was awarded the Distinguished Flying Medal?. If so could you give me the details? Thanks

Thanks

Hello,

From the book "By such deeds" by G/ Colin Hanson : Keith Ian STREET was awarded the DFM. service number NZ391871, born New Plymouth, 16 th March 1916. His DFM was gazetted on 21st April 1941, while he was flying Hampdens with No. 44 Squadron.

Citation reads : In March 1941, Pilot Officer Ross and Sergeant Street were captain and rear gunner respectively of an aircraft detailed to carry out an attack upon two enemy battle cruisers at Brest. Flying over to the target area at a low altitude, Pilot Officer Orss finally located his objective and, in the face of intense and concentrated anti-aircraft fire and blinding searchlights descended to 1000 feet, scoring a direct hit on one of the ships with an extremely heavy bomb. During the attack Sergeant Street coolly directed his machine-gun fire against searchlights and succeeded in extinguishing many of them, thus assisting his captain greatly during a hazardous part of the attack. Pilot Officer Ross and Sergeant Street have completed numerous operational missions and both have, on all occasions, displayed great keenness, courage and determination in pressing home their attacks.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks Joss. If their is any others let me know. Fantastic work. Thanks

Thanks

Arthur,

I still have copies of this book available, should you be interested please email me.

Errol (publisher)