Thread: Crash of Ventura AE944, RCAF Station, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia

Thanks

Default Crash of Ventura AE944, RCAF Station, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia

18 January 1943 Ventura Mk.II AE944 (attached to No.34 OTU Pennfield Ridge) crashed at RCAF Station Yarmouth @ 1950 hours. According to the Daily Diary for No.34 OTU: "On landing at Yarmouth at 1950 GMT, from a training flight, Ventura 11, AE944, pilot - R127499 Sgt. Solheim, W.A. a pupil of No.6 Course, overshot the runway and ran into a snow bank causing the starboard undercarriage to collapse...The accident is attributed to the pilot's error."*

Looking for the names of any additional personnel who may have been aboard this A/C, in particular T.J.A. Evans. Evans recalls a crash around New Year's Day 1943 with Bill Solheim but his recollection does not quite fit this report.

Regards,
    Christian
    Last edited by PennfieldParish; 16th October 2010 at 12:45. Reason: Additional details

Thanks

Hi Christian,

if you have not found it yet, the full details of this accident are described here:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nbpennfi/penn8b3Accident_MishapReports.htm

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel,

Yes I know as this is my website.

I was simply looking for additional details not contained in "official" records. This is because one of those aboard the a/c at the time of the crash recalls details differently. However, with that said, I also realize that the passage of time sometimes effects the memory in recalling certain events.

Regards,
    Christian