Thread: Flt Lt William J. Jowers DFC RAFVR

Thanks

Default Flt Lt William J. Jowers DFC RAFVR

Can anyone help please? I am looking for a DFC citation or recommendation (or even the AM bulletin) for Flt Lt William James Jowers (146106) DFC RAFVR. His award was promulgated in the LG of 16 November 1943. It appears to be a non-immediate award for his work as a Flt Eng on 44 and 9 Sqns.

I have found mention in the LG and Flight, but the reason behind the award still eludes me.

Thanks in advance chaps

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

For reasons which I have not been able to fathom, there is a serious gap in records for awards gazetted this date, and it seems to be most apparent in respect of Flight Engineers. The document at Kew, Air 2/8992, might yield some recommendations, but in this instance I would guess that you have only a 25 percent chance of find Jowers' recommendation.

Tavender, noting DFM awards gazetted this date, noted in some instances that he could find no recommendation, in other cases had a text but pbly cited a "Press Release" (not further indentified) and in a few cases he had a text and cited Air 2/8992. Tavender, of course, was only compiling DFM awards - there might - repeat, might - have been more diligence in preserving the recommendation for an officer such as Jowers.

Thanks

Many thanks Hugh. The quest continues........
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.