Thread: Battle on 20/09/1939

Thanks

Default Battle on 20/09/1939

Hi,

On 20th September 1939 three Fairey Battles of the 88 Squadron based in France as part of the Advanced Air Striking Force took off for a recce flight over Aachen. There they were engaged by three Bf 109s of the JGr 152. Battle K9243 flown by F/O Baker and crewed by Sgt Letchford together with AC1 Edwards claimed one of Germans shot down. This does not seem to have been officially "confirmed" at first but evidence to support the claim for Sgt Letchford came later, from French sources, which in turn led to it being confirmed.
    My question – does anyone have a copy of the CR or is able to advice in what NA Kew´s reference I can find it ? There is no file in AIR 50 reference for the 88 Sqn …

Regards,
    Michal

Thanks

hello Michal

In the AIR 52 series, Fighter Squadrons come first, then Bomber Squadrons. I have from my crude home made and partly incomplete spreadsheet or AIR 50 references, 78 Sqn in AIr 50/195, and 97 Sqn in AIR 50/200. So just a thought, 88 Squadron might have a reference between the two. Give it a try on the online catalogue.

Otherwise "Fledging Eagles" or the French version "les Aiglons" cover this period of the Phoney War. Have you checked them ?

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss,

Thanks for the tip and info about sorting FC at first and then BC etc. I have checked higher numbers in AIR 50 reference and found AIR 50/198 for the 88 Sqn unfortunately only for Boston period March - December 1942. Further deeper searching in th reference did not help me till now. Any chance to find the report in the AASF command record(s) ?
    I have Czech version of the Fledling Eagles. There is detailed description of melée inside but without a word from / about combat report.

Michal