Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 103 Squadron 1939/40

Wolves Guy Guest

Default 103 Squadron 1939/40

Can I ask if any of you could help with trying to inform me were 103 Squadron was serving between 20/12/39 until about 22/8/40 was it in the uk or overseas? His rank at that time was ACH,would he have been classed as ground crew?
    My grandfather Benjamin Hunt 347587 was attached to the Squadron at that time. He first enlisted in the R.A.F in 1922for 7 years and then was called up for the duration of ww2.

Dave

Doug Cuthbertson Guest

Hi Dave,
    This squadron was flying Battles during the time period you queried. Their bases then were as follows;
    Plivot, 28/11/39; Betheniville, 15/2/40; St Lusien Ferme, 16/5/40; Ozouer-le-Doyen, 4/6/40; Souge, 14/6/40. All in France. To Abingdon 15/6/40, as part of the Scatter Scheme, and to Honington the next day. To Newton on 3/7/40 until 11/7/41, when they moved to Elsham Wolds.
    Source; The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force, by James J. Halley. (Air Britain).
    Regards, Doug.

Thanks

According to RAF Squadrons by C G. Jefford 103 Squadron were at the following bases around the time you give.

28 November 1939 to Plivot
    15 February 1940 tp Betheniville
    16 May 1940 to St-Lucien-Ferme
    4 June 1940 to Ozouer-le-Doyen with detachments at Echemines, Faux-Villecerf.
    14 June 140 to Souge
    15 June 1940 to Abingdon
    18 June 1940 to Honington
    3 July 1940 to Newton
    11 July to Elsham Wolds.

Hope this is a help

regards
    Peter

Thanks

Dave,
    ACH (Aircraft Hand) was a trade (unskilled), NOT a rank. In fact airmen had no rank as such until promotion to Corporal (the lowest NCO rank) who could give orders and must be obeyed. Airmen ("erks") were classified only, as AC2, AC1, and LAC (Aircraftman 2nd Class, Aircraftman 1st Class, and Leading Aircraftman respectively).
    ACH's were employed as general "dog's bodies" and could be runners, assistants for any skilled trade (such as employment in workshops or on the airfield), undertaking the onerous tasks that would otherwise have to be undertaken by more skilled personnel, helping in messes, kitchens, as driver's assistants, or in the Orderly Room, armoury, or even painting aircraft.
    David D

Bart FM Droog Guest

Dave,

Info about the activities of 103 Squadron in the period you're interested in can be found on:
    http://elshamwolds.50g.com/1031.html

For the period 10/05/1940 - 30/06/1940 see:
    http://www.epibreren.com/ww2/raf/103_squadron.html

Regards,

Bart

Wolves Guy Guest

Thank you, Dave Doug, Bart and Peter for your replies. That information has helped me a lot with the service records for my Grandfather. Sorry my reply is a little late ,but my I.P was having trouble so I could not log on.
    I am amazed at the information and help you guys give out, I just wish I was as informative as you all on the forum. I am reading a lot of the posts and taking in every thing I can.
    Thanks again for the help and for such intresting posts from other forum members.

Dave

Wolves Guy Guest

Sorry Dave, my mistake, I put his trade not his rank. His rank was
    AC1 from 39, and was then went to T/Corp on 31/12/40. 0n 31/12/1943 he was LAC, then went to AC2 on 31/12/44. Looking at the time forfEited while in the WW2, he was a bit of a lad.
    Was 31st of each month the day when all promotions were made, or was it just coincidence his promotions were made on the last day of the month?

Dave
    Last edited by Wolves Guy; 20th February 2008 at 18:44.

Thanks

that is a very unusual career in the RAF, from AC1 to T/Cpl, then to LAC and finally AC2. Cannot say that I have ever seen one quite like that before (but I have lead a sheltered life!) And it is also amazing that all the reclassifications/promotions/reversions were dated the 31st of the month. One can only imagine that this was some sort of fantastic string of coincidences, but that does seem just too many to be believable.
    David D

Thanks

Hi Dave
    I can't comment on the dates but the progression of ranks can possibly be explained. Starting from AC1 he must have been in a section that needed a Cpl but none was available, so on seniority, probably as he became due for LAC, he was instead raised to Cpl but only on a temporary basis (and probably unpaid). When a full Corporal was available the post was filled and he was reverted to previous rank as the LAC that he was due for. Dave's comment that he "was a bit of a lad" may explain why he was not made a substantive Corporal and also why he ended up as AC2!! "Jack-the-Lad" is never the most popular person with the Powers that Be.
    Regards
    Dick

Wolves Guy Guest

Thanks David & Dick, I understand what you both mean but all through his WW2 career he must have been jack the Lad, as he had many cases where he was A.W.O.L, close arrest, detention and finally at the end serverly repremanded. If I can in the next few days I will upload clips of the records so you can see.
    In his first R.A.F service from 1921 - 1928 he had a very good record, but I don't know what went wrong later
    Thanks for all your posts on this topic, they have been informative to me.

Dave