Thread: Operation 'Cockle' 26.2.43 - 161 Sqdn Halifax.

Thanks

Default Operation 'Cockle' 26.2.43 - 161 Sqdn Halifax.

Greetings,

I have six Operational codes that I am attempting to find particulars about, this is for the son of Sgt. Eric Jenner of 161 Squadron Halifax.

If I may, I will drip feed these codes on this web site to avoid confusion (to myself!).

The first is- Operation ‘Cockle’, this operation was combined with Operation ‘Butler’ & ‘Barber’ on the 26 February 1943.

Any information would be most appreciated.

Cheer,
    Digger.

Thanks

Default 161 Sqd.ops

ARTHUR , NOT SURE IF THIS HELPS , BUT HERE IT IS ANYWAY , I HAVE DETAILS OF A 161 SQD HALIFAX DG244, FTR ,SOE,OPERATION "VEGA 3", 20/3/43 , I HAVE SOME DETAIL OF THE CREW , AS I GOT THIS INFORMATION FOR THE SISTER SINCE PASSED AWAY , OF
    P/O TOM CHALLINOR DFC , the rear gunner on DG244 . PHILL JONES

Thanks

Run the codes through the British National Archives Catalogue and check the various hits between 1939-1945

SOE records
    HS 6/430
    Security files: COCKLE MAJOR/MINOR; storage depots for arms in western France; finding beaches for escape and landing operations

KV 6/27 SATIRIST, DELEGATE Circuits. File contains material relating to the compromise of three SOE operations in France, SATIRIST, DELEGATE and BUTLER

KV 6/28 Marie Joseph Louis Marcel ROUSSET: French. ROUSSET was a SOE agent operating in the compromised BUTLER circuit in Occupied France. He was interrogated on his return to the UK in 1944

Arthur,
    can you give the context of where you are finding these names? Are they in a log booko, and ORB or elsewhere?
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thank you both Phill and Dennis for answering.

Phill, although this did not answer what I wanted, it will be placed in my files, thanks a lot.

Dennis. Your answer hit the combined part of the op with 'Butler.
    I would like to reply more fully by e mail to put you into the picture and answer your last question, as I was sent some docs from Keith Jenner, son of Sgt Eric Jenner F/E. (Later DFM).

All so much appreciated believe me. will get on to you later Dennis, the sun is out and the 'management' hinted at the garden!!
    Cheers,
    Digger. ('Digger' is my family nickname circa 1926 and is used by most of my friends)

Thanks

Default 161 ops

Hi, I too am working with Keith on this and have sent him the debrief reports for Cockle, Butler & Barber. Slowly I am working through the records and should have all the debriefs on his father's ops. If you like send me an email with anything else you are looking for I'll see what I can do.
    Cheers
    Bob

Thanks

Hello Bob,

I wish Keith had told me that someone else was working on his queries; it would save quite a lot of work if I had known...

I will send you an attachment listing out various operations, aircrew surnames, dates etc. Then, perhaps you may have received these from Keith.

Very interested in the operational code names as I have found two New Zealanders had been in the crew at times.

Sorry if I sound a bit annoyed but I wish he had been more open on who is assisting him.

Been unable to locate your e mail address, so here are the codes that were listed :-

26 February 1943 'Cockle' combined with Butler & Barber;

12 March 1943 'Farmer 1' combined with Alsation;

14 March 1943 'Director 34'; 19 March 1943 "Yolande';

20 March 1943; 'Yolande'

19 April 1943 Algol/Chaffinch'

Rather a lot I'm afraid.

Cheers for now, My e mail address is awarculus@xtra.co.nz

Digger.

Thanks

Default 'Cockle' 26.2.43 - 161 Sqdn Halifax

Hi Digger
    Have you seen the ORB for that date ? It should answer some of your quistions.
    If not, let me have your e-mail address via PM and I shall send it to your.

Sorry , did not see Bob`s reply.
    Best regards
    Soren Flensted
    WWW.Flensted.EU.Com

Thanks

Thanks Soren for your input, but if you still feel like sending the ORB, I would be very pleased, every little helps.

awarculus@xtra.co.nz is my e mail address.

Thanks & Cheers,
    Digger.