Thread: Warrant Officer Ramo Digamber Garware (k 22 Dec 43)

Thanks

Default Warrant Officer Ramo Digamber Garware (k 22 Dec 43)

While going through old digicopies of Illustrated Weekly, I found a photo showing Sgt R D Garware of the RAF in Jun 42 issue. One of the rare cases of an Indian who joined the RAF directly in the UK . It shows him in Sgt Uniform with pilot wings. the accompanying caption mentions he was in UK for studying and joined the RAF on the outbreak of the war.

I got a hit with Google - the first link showed him as a casuality with 58 OTU.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/wwshack/Misc/58OTURollOfHonour.htm

Garware R.D. W/O.
    RAF VR
    22-12-43
    Spitfire P8547? Sheerdale, Clackmannan-shire.
    F/Sgt. Garware, an Indian Hindu was seriously injured and died of his injuries 24 hours later. Crashed in force landing into field. Leigh (St. Catherine) Churchyard Gloucestershire, aged 25

Search on CWGC bought this up

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2451380

Name: GARWARE, RAMO DIGAMBER
    Initials: R D
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    Date of Death: 23/12/1943
    Service No: 1190419
    Additional information: Son of Digamber Chantanan Garware and Mathubai Garware; husband of Margaret Garware, of Coombe Hill.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: East of church.
    Cemetery: LEIGH (ST. CATHERINE) CHURCHYARD

It appears he was buried (instead of the normal custom of Cremation).

If anyone has run into any references to Garware in their research, I would be delighted to know more. any photos welcome.

Another website http://www.namesofthefallen.com/index.php?reqmemorial=5&reqnameid=0 shows his name on a panel of the 58OTU Roll of Honour.

http://www.namesofthefallen.com/memorials/5/5_3.jpg

Thanks

Jagan

Certainly looks likes Spitfire P8547 which had an engine failed wreck in force-landing Sleadale Clackmannan on 23-12-43. This Spitfire was a presentation aircraft called "Indian Posts" so maybe more in Gifts of War if anyone else has it

Thanks

Hi.

I have a photo of him that I can email you. He trained with my father at Ternhill in 1941.

Cheers Motherbird

Thanks

Information on F/sgt Gaware is correct, his aircraft crashed at Sheardale which is a plateau 1km south of Dollar in Clackmannanshire. Shows up as Sheardale Braes on the 1:25000 OS maps.

Thanks

Thanks all for the confirmation and details.

there must have been some significance to having an Indian pilot fly the an aircraft contributed by indian funds. or maybe too much of a coincidence.

Motherbird, a photograph would be lovely to have. Please do emaill me a copy to jaganpvs AT gmail

will also send you a PM to confirm.

AL90, Thanks for the crash location details. I was able to locate Sheardale on Google Maps at Coordinates 56.14851, -3.67381

one last question. I have not been able to locate St Catherines Church at Leigh (Gloustershire) on Google Maps (his place of burial). Though there are website results for it, No joy on Google UK maps. Any help in this matter is appreciated.

Thanks

Jagan,

If you would like a photograph of the grave, I can oblige with that. The church is at OS ref SO866245. Send me a PM with your Email for the return of the photograph. It will take a week or so, but leave it with me.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?rlz=1T4ACPW_enGB365GB365&q=st+catherine%27s+c hurch+leigh&um=1&hl=en&biw=1205&bih=547&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=il

Regards

DaveW

Thanks

Dave

PM sent - many thanks for the offer.

Thanks also for the Google Maps link. Exactly what I needed (And failed to get yesterday)

For some reason all my searches with keywords St Catherine's Church and Leigh came up with naught for this area yesterday. But today using your keywords, they do come up fine.. must be my thick fingers somewhere!