Thread: 20 OTU Wellington

Thanks

Default 20 OTU Wellington

On the 25/11/43 Pilot Officer Jack Eckersley Harrison RCAF was killed in a 20 OTU Wellington crash. His death certificate gives the place as, what looks like, West Manse Woods, Drumoak which is to the west of Aberdeen. Cause of death is due to aircraft accident. There are no other casualties listed,
    Does anyone have any further details please.

Thanks

This loss was discussed here back in 2007 http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181

Since then I have found additional info. Forgive me if I repeat some info supplied in the previous thread.

The death of P/O Harrison is registered in the parish of Drumoak (Aberdeenshire) as having occurred at West Manse Wood on 25th November 1943.

He was a member of the crew of Wellington MS482 from 20 OTU who were on a training flight from Lossiemouth when the aircraft ran short of fuel. The pilot (Sgt G C Steel RCAF) ordered the crew to bale out and it would appear that P/O Harrison was the only one to do so.

The aircraft eventually crash landed at Middleton Cockley, Maryculter (not far from Drumoak) and the pilot and four remaining crew survived with slight injuries.

Names of the other crew onboard were Sgt W Jardine A/G, P/O N V Roe RCAF, Sgt Vincent, Sgt Whitehead.

Errol Martyn reports in the old thread that the aircraft was recoverd and made airworthy and continued in service until 1948.

P/O Harrison is buried in Atherton Cemetery, Lancashire.

Would be interesting if anyone can add anything further.

Regards
    Linzee

Thanks

Hi Linzee,

Looking all over an wondered why Bill Chorley didn`t have it listed, No wonder I couldn`t it, flew on `til 48 eh!

Regards
    Dave.

Thanks

Thanks for the info Linzee, I couldn't understand why there was no trace of him in my files.
    Incidentaly his medals are for sale on the web site below.
    http://www.militarymedals.ca/index.cfm/fuseaction/products/categoryID/0/specials/no/new/yes/StartRow/14
    The reason he is buried in Atherton is that he was the son of Albert Victor and Elizabeth Harrison of Atherton. Educated at Leigh Grammar school he emigrated to Canada before the war and joined the RCAF in 1942. Details on the medal site gives the crash location as Middleton which ties in nicely.
    On the same medal site there are the medals, log book and photos of F/O (Nav) Walter D Wall of 19OTU, thought it may be of interest to you.