Thread: Mediterranean front, 6 January 1943 : which Beaufighter unit was involved ?

Thanks

Default Mediterranean front, 6 January 1943 : which Beaufighter unit was involved ?

Hello,

On 6th January 1943, early in the afternoon, two Beaufighter severely damaged a He 111 just off Malta Island.

To which RAF squadron did these Beaufighter belong ?

Thank you very much in advance

Pierre BABIN

Thanks

From Shores, Ring and Hess "Fighters over Tunisia"

Nothing noted near Malta for Jan 6, but on Jan 5, 1943 two Beaus of 227 sqdn swept to the west of the island at 15:10 meeting five He111 near Lampedusa. The Beau of Sgt R J Ward/Sgt L J Charlton was seen to attack one and then collide with it, both aircraft crashing.

Perhaps what you are looking for ?

Regards,

Ian

Thanks

Default Mediterranean front, 6 January 1943 : which Beaufighter unit was involved ?

Hello Ian,

Thank you very much for your reply. But the fight which interests me took really place on 6th of January. I have no information about the fate of the involved Beaufighters, but the He 111 they damaged didn't return fire, and he could land at Comiso, South Sicilia.

I guess several RAF units, equiped with Beaufighters, based at Malta Island, or in Algeria, or (may be) in East of Lybia or Egypt, operated in this part of the Mediterranean Sea early in January 1943. So, which could be these units and where were they based ? May be have you information ?

Thanks again

Best regards

Pierre

Thanks

Hello Pierre,

252 sqdn were another Beau unit in the Med at this time.

603 sqdn also active in the Med, but I think later than the period of your interest.

Will have a root around over the week end to see what else comes up.

Regards,

Ian

PS. 46 squadron is another to consider, as although initially a night fighter squadron, at the period in question they were flying daylight ops.
    Another is 272 squadron.
    Last edited by ian94avenge; 29th October 2010 at 15:57. Reason: Grey matter kicked in !

Thanks

Hello Pierre,

As this combat took place near Malta I have assumed the Beaufighter(s) involved was based on the island.

At January 1943 the following Beaufighter squadrons were based on Malta.

46 sqdn - details already placed on the RAF Comms web pages.

227 sqdn at Ta Kali November 1942 to February 1943.

272 sqdn at Ta Kali November 1942 to June 1943.

As an outside chance 252 sqdn was based at Idku November 1941 to January 1943, included in the period September 1942 to January 1943 it sent out detachment, including Luqa, but date not known.

Best regards,

Ian