Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Seeking info on Catalina AJ155

Thanks

Trev,
    I'd be very interested in a transcript of that personal account if you're willing… it would surely help with an expanded 413 story that I am attempting to piece together. Please PM with details if it is no trouble.

Rob & Robert,
    Rob, thanks for buying the book and your kind words… I'm glad you are enjoying it. I'm now (resuming) working on profiles for a number of other 413 Cats as well and, yes, all of the early ones featured EDSG / DSG uppers with Sky lowers as prescribed for flying boats at that stage of the war, and as confirmed by Robert as one variation of the Temperate Sea Scheme. Photos of pre-Ceylon and early-service Ceylon based Catalinas agree with this.

I presume that the orders took a little while to follow the actual experiments in scheme… the photographic record seems to point that way anyway.

Cheers all 'round,
    Terry (with apologies for taking so long to come back to this very interesting thread).

PS: Rob, some time ago we'd discussed whether or not the Birchall crew had the mid-fuselage aux. fuel tank on board. Something related of interest popped up in a CCDU document that I've recently gotten hold of. It summarized the changes made to ferried Catalinas prior to service entry, and one of the items was the removal of that part of the fuel system. This has me wondering if it may have been installed for ferry flights, and uninstalled / stored at the nearest Catalina MU (or equivalent) prior to ops. As I recall, the 413 aircraft were delayed in leaving the UK due to a trip to Ireland(IIRC?) to be outfitted for the trip east. Besides fresh engines, radios, etc, I wonder if the ferry tank was reinstalled? And, given the short time the a/c was in Ceylon prior to that fateful mission, I wonder if they had time to uninstall? Any insights?

PS 2: Ref Coastal Commands (indeed, the whole RAF with the possible exception of Training Command) maintenance workflows of the period. Interestingly enough, the whole maintenance organization was under scrutiny during this period and it occurs to me that delays imparted on the start of this particular deployment east may have been a result of some of the failings then being realized. I'm attempting to find out more on this… just starting to read some literature pointing at primary source material on the subject now.

Thanks

I came across this by accident. My father was a member of this crew. The chatty account sounds like the one he wrote. I also have a copy. He still has the original. I am fascinated to know how Trev has a copy and wether you are still researching this action.