Thread: Recommendation for DFC

Thanks

Default Recommendation for DFC

Hi all,

Just a quick query, if a member of aircrew is recommended for a DFC (or a DFM for that matter) and that recommendation is ultimately rejected and no award is given, is the original recommendation on file anywhere? ie. to prove that the airman was at least put forward for the award.

Many thanks in advance,

Russ

Thanks

In perusing Air 2 files at Kew I found many draft citations for awards that were never approved. Somewhere on this Forum I have even listed those that I transcribed for the record, although my list is very, very incomplete.

I do not recall seeing recommendations for such non-awards (the recommendations would likely go into more detail than the final edited citations).

The Air 2 awards files usually had correspondence (at least in respect of non-combat awards such as the BEM, AFM and AFM) that explained why awards were being turned down - excessive number being put forward (where quotas applied), insufficient flying hours, etc.

With respect to recommendations for operational gallantry awards, I recall seeing a few of these being retained, even when the award was not approved, but I am unsure as to whether this was general practice.

Thanks

Hi Hugh,
    I know that Joce Millard was recommends by his CO for the AFC.
    He was instructing in Canada at the time and fulfilled the criteria for this award.
    He didn't see eye to eye with the Adjutant and only discovered his recommendation years afterwards. The station was closing and he was tasked with assisting with the clear out. He discovered his AFC recommendation in the adjutants drawer. When he quizzed the adjutant about it he was told "you were doing the job you were paid to do. You don't deserve a medal for that!"
    I wrote to the RAF and produced the documentation in the hope that they would consider awarding it to him. They explained that they don't allow retrospective awards.
    Joce was gutted that he was denied the award that he had worked so hard to earn.
    Could I ask you to check to see if his name is on the list. I suspect that it won't be as he kept his original recommendation on finding it.
    Thank you
    Gerry

Thanks

I do not have him on my list, which was compiled largely from files relating to overseas operations. If he was in Canada when recommended it might be in some Canadian file and been overlooked by me. On the other hand, he might be in possession of the sole copy of the document. What was the unit at which he was instructing ?

Thanks

Hi Hugh,
    Joce served as an instructor with 35 SFTS North Battleford from September '41 to 1944.
    Tony Forster (151 and 607 during the BoB) was the CO at that time.
    I'm not sure what the criteria for an instructor to receive the AFC was, but I know Joce surpassed it.
    Gerry

Thanks

Without undertaking a specific search at this time (owing to plenty of other things to do) I will keep an eye open for a recommendation. In the meantime, you may wish to undertake some research at Kew, at the very least to satisfy yourself respecting criteria for an AFC - see AIR 2/4859 DECORATIONS, MEDALS, HONOURS AND AWARDS: Honours for R.A.F. personnel serving in Canada.

Thanks

Many thanks Hugh,

I appreciate your reply.

Russ